Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.199.243
valkyrie89

ANSWERED AirVPN's Remote Port Forwarding: OpenVPN exclusive or WireGuard friendly?

Hey folks,

I've been trying to wrap my head around the Remote Port Forwarding feature that AirVPN offers, but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere, not even in the forum or FAQ section.

Now, the "https://airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/" page does a decent job of breaking down the basics of port forwarding in the customer area, but here's the thing - it doesn't actually specify whether this nifty feature is solely meant for OpenVPN or if it plays nice with other VPN protocols like WireGuard too.

Since I always create my VPN configurations with the "Config Generator" and switch between OpenVPN and WireGuard depending on the use case, it would be very important for me to know if the Remote Port Forwarding function under "Home >> Client Area >> Forwarded ports" can be used equally in both cases.

I would be very grateful if one of you has more detailed information on this and can answer this question for me.

Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards,

@valkyrie89

Hello!

Inbound remote port forwarding is a feature divorced from the VPN p-t-p communication protocol, it all relies on NAT configuration through packet mangling, so you can use it both with OpenVPN and WireGuard.

Kind regards