Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.137.243
MHq

Changing server ..on the fly

Hello everyone, say I'm torrenting and eMuleing passing thru Eddie on a Windows Server machine. 
I noticed that I may change the VPN server I'm connected to without closing any applications, but is this advisable?
Or would it be better to close qBittorrent and eMule, switch to a different VPN server and then restart the p2p apps?

Thanks in advance 

3 hours ago, MHq said:

Hello everyone, say I'm torrenting and eMuleing passing thru Eddie on a Windows Server machine. 
I noticed that I may change the VPN server I'm connected to without closing any applications, but is this advisable?
Or would it be better to close qBittorrent and eMule, switch to a different VPN server and then restart the p2p apps?

Thanks in advance 

Hello!

Only if Network Lock option is enabled you can safely switch servers "on the fly", because Network Lock will prevent any possible traffic leak outside the VPN tunnel.

Kind regards

Thanks for reply.  It seems Netwrok Lock option is enabled and set to Automatic by default, is that correct?

25 minutes ago, MHq said:

Thanks for reply.  It seems Netwrok Lock option is enabled and set to Automatic by default, is that correct?

Hello!

That depends on the Eddie version. Up to Eddie 2.22 Network Lock is disabled by default.
Starting from Eddie 2.23 Network Lock is active during a connection, by default, and de-activates when the user explicitly orders the end of a connection. This working mode is not suitable for your goal.

In all versions, enabling Network Lock manually or at startup enforces Network Lock during the whole program session lifetime, no matter what (therefore Network Lock is permanently set and protects you from any server switch or any other event). This is the working mode you want, which is disabled only when you order explicitly to de-activate Network Lock or you shut down Eddie cleanly.

You can also configure Eddie to always activate Network Lock (as soon as the program is launched) on the "Preferences" > "General" window, by checking "Activate Network Lock at startup". For your purpose this is highly recommended for peace of mind.

Kind regards

Thanks.
I found something weird: as per your suggestion I have checked "Activate Network Lock at startup" on a VPS running Windows Server 2022.  As soon as I launch Eddie, I loose the remote connection to the VPS and have to reboot the machine from the Control Panel.  I tried 3 times and am quite sure this issue is related to the netwrok lock activation.

Currently, I can no longer launch Eddie, or the machine will crash.  Have also tried to uninstall it but it stores settings somewhere and it keeps crashing after launch...

How to perform a complete uninstall of Eddie?
Thanks

@MHq

Hello!

If you have the portable package just delete the directory which you have decompressed the package into. If you have the installing version you can start the Windows uninstall procedure available in the control panel. Do you have the option to obtain the crash dump (or any message related to the crash) and send it to us?

Eddie does not have the power to bring down an entire Windows system. System drivers could, however, and Eddie features the usual and well tested in years wintun driver (Windows is the only system which does not come pre-packaged with a driver for a virtual network adapter, so it's strictly necessary to install it).

Kind regards

Hello, I have the installer, and have uninstalled it form the Windows control panel, but after reinstalling Eddie, the Activate Ntework lock is still checked, thus Eddie should store the settings somewhere (registry? %LOCALAPPDATA% ?)

Actually, it doesn't crash the machine: form what I can see I just loose the remote connection but am unable to relogin to the Win server, unless i reboot it form tje provider control panel.

The issue arises during activation of the netwrok lock: this is a screenshot I managed to take before disconnection.
I would gladly send you the crash dump: could you please advise how to collect it on a Win Server 2022?

image.png.133debb1be25ec3b7aa63d3ec059889c.png

One more thing: I'm able to VNC the VPS, but not remote login with Remote Desktop

Ok, thru VNC I unchecked the network lock activation, then managed to login via remote desktop, relaunched Eddie and all is fine

I'm using Eddie 2.21.8

After all, it seems absolutely logical the disconnection from the remote desktop when the network lock is being activated, since all connections outside Eddie are cancelled and the remote desktop connection from the local PC to the VPS could be the case.  Adding the local PC IP to the allowed IP list, may solve the problem.

13 hours ago, MHq said:

Hello, I have the installer, and have uninstalled it form the Windows control panel, but after reinstalling Eddie, the Activate Ntework lock is still checked, thus Eddie should store the settings somewhere (registry? %LOCALAPPDATA% ?)

Hello!

Yes, exactly. The location of the configuration file is described in the following page:
https://eddie.website/support/data-path/

When you uninstall you don't destroy the configuration file. In other systems, uninstalling a program implies preserving the settings in case of future re-installing or upgrading, while purging implies deletion of settings on top of any other program related file deletion.

14 hours ago, MHq said:

Actually, it doesn't crash the machine:

OK, that's better. Network Lock, as you correctly found out, did its job.

Kind regards