Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.251.72
Sign in to follow this  
JackParsons

ANSWERED Help with old OpenVPN and old Linux

I'm on an old Linux (Mint 17) with an old openvpn (2.3.2). This openvpn version does not know the <data-cipher> options or <tls-crypt> subsection.
The Eddie client cannot "elevate":

. 2024.04.10 18:51:36 - Raise system privileges
/usr/lib/eddie-cli/eddie-cli-elevated: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /usr/lib/eddie-cli/eddie-cli-elevated)
/usr/lib/eddie-cli/eddie-cli-elevated: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /usr/lib/eddie-cli/eddie-cli-elevated)
/usr/lib/eddie-cli/eddie-cli-elevated: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /usr/lib/eddie-cli/eddie-cli-elevated)
/usr/lib/eddie-cli/eddie-cli-elevated: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by /usr/lib/eddie-cli/eddie-cli-elevated)
/usr/lib/eddie-cli/eddie-cli-elevated: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by /usr/lib/eddie-cli/eddie-cli-elevated)
F 2024.04.10 18:51:36 - Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (already exit)
The available update sites seem to have left me behind on GLIBC. What options are available? Upgrading this thing is somewhat perilous. Am I completely locked out of AirVPN?
Is there an OpenVPN option to accept my older client?

Thanks!

@JackParsons

Hello!

Eddie 2.13.6 should run on your system. To download it, on the Linux download page please select "Other versions", click "2.13.6" and the download page will point to that version. Before installing Eddie 2.13.6 please make sure to delete the configuration file (default.xml in older Eddie versions, default.profile in newer version) to avoid incompatibilities of the configuration file due to a downgrade.

If even Eddie 2.13.6 can't run on your system, then you could prepare a configuration file compatible with your OpenVPN 2.3.2:
  • in the Configuration Generator turn the "Advanced" switch on
  • set the "OpenVPN profile" combo box to "2.4"
  • select a connection with OpenVPN to entry-IP address ONE (this is essential to avoid tls-crypt, unsupported by 2.3)
  • download and use the configuration file as usual
Please consider anyway to upgrade your system for security reasons.

Kind regards