Not connected, Your IP: 18.221.85.33
Sign in to follow this  
ambergris

Is this proper tor and vpn set up for my needs?

Want to check that I have set up your service and my programs correctly.

I am using tor with your vpn. I followed instructions on your tor setup page. Started tor first then openvpn connects to the airvpn server I choose. Your site still says I am not connected and shows my tor ip, and checkmyip.com also shows tor ip and ipligence.com shows geolocation that is wrong country for your vpn, so it must be tor. But if I use other browsers your site says connected, checkmyip shows vpn ip, and ipligence shows geolocation of that vpn server. Does this sound like tor is working right over your vpn? Is this secure against malicious tor exit nodes? Thank you.

Want to check that I have set up your service and my programs correctly.

I am using tor with your vpn. I followed instructions on your tor setup page. Started tor first then openvpn connects to the airvpn server I choose. Your site still says I am not connected and shows my tor ip, and checkmyip.com also shows tor ip and ipligence.com shows geolocation that is wrong country for your vpn, so it must be tor. But if I use other browsers your site says connected, checkmyip shows vpn ip, and ipligence shows geolocation of that vpn server. Does this sound like tor is working right over your vpn? Is this secure against malicious tor exit nodes? Thank you.

Hello!

Your connection is "AirVPN over TOR". In this case, if you use a browser NOT configured to connect over a proxy:

- our servers can't see your real IP address, but can see your traffic

- TOR nodes can't see your traffic, which is encrypted by OpenVPN

- you are "visible" on the Internet with the Air server exit-IP address

With the same setup, if you run a browser configured to connect over the same TOR proxy used by OpenVPN:

- you will be using TOR only

- your traffic will not pass through our servers

- you will be visible on the Internet with the TOR exit-node IP address of the established circuit

- you are not protected against TOR malicious exit-nodes

So, if your purpose is getting protected from malicious TOR exit-nodes and hide to our servers your real IP address, you should connect over OpenVPN over TOR, as you have already done, and then use a browser not configured to connect over a proxy.

If your purpose is hiding your traffic to our servers, then just connect to an Air server normally, and then use the TOR browser.

If your purpose is hiding your traffic AND your IP address to our servers, but trusting TOR exit-nodes, you can connect over TOR over AirVPN over TOR. In order to do that, the simplest way is through a Virtual Machine. In the host you just connect over OpenVPN over TOR as you do now. In the guest OS you connect over TOR.

Kind regards

Hello and thank you for replying with details, you make it clearer now. I trust your servers thanks to your good reputation but I do not trust tor exit nodes that anyone could set up.

So, if your purpose is getting protected from malicious TOR exit-nodes and hide to our servers your real IP address, you should connect over OpenVPN over TOR, as you have already done, and then use a browser not configured to connect over a proxy.

This is what I would like to do. Can TOR browser be made to work in this way?

Hello and thank you for replying with details, you make it clearer now. I trust your servers thanks to your good reputation but I do not trust tor exit nodes that anyone could set up.

This is what I would like to do. Can TOR browser be made to work in this way?

Hello!

Thank you.

Well, yes, for example the Aurora (a customized Firefox) browser in the TOR browser bundle can be configured to use no proxy, and you still have all the protections configured by the TOR Project Team (no scripts allowed, no Flash, https anywhere possible...).

Just like with Firefox, in order to set how Aurora must connect to the Internet, go to "Options"->"Advanced"->"Network" tab. Then click on the "Settings" button near "Configure how Aurora connects to the Internet", finally select "No proxy".

Kind regards

Great I will do this. Can you tell me what I should look for or use to test to know I have set it up properly? Many simple steps, but complicated for new user to put together, just want to have a test to make sure I have not made mistakes.