Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.172.146
Sign in to follow this  
abirato

Need a new router

Need to buy a new router. Of course, I'd like to install Open VPN on it. Need a usb port on it for storage. Can anyone recommend a good one that supports dd-wrt mega?

You aren't realistically going to get any more than 6 mbit/s through OpenVPN in DD-WRT with a router CPU. Sorry.

Probably too much work than you want to do but... You can run DD-WRT on PC x86 hardware where the CPU will no longer be a bottleneck.

However, there is no currently-known setup to prevent DD-WRT from leaking your traffic if the VPN connection dies. The stuff here doesn't work fully:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=2377&Itemid=142#2377

My Linksys E3000 has a theoretical maximum speed of 7mbps through the tunnel based on the processor power required to do the encryption. That being said, in practice I see about 4mbps out of it.

The faster the cpu in your router, the better the throughput will be.

I'd recommend building a pc-based router and run Ubuntu server or something on it if you want to ensure full speed.

I have the same internet speeds you have and I use a Netgear WNDR3800 flashed with DD-WRT. The VPN client on the DD-WRT works well for me and I get decent speeds even though I am 800 kms from my nearest server. Once I set up my uTorrent correctly I can get 2MBs download speeds on good torrents.

I was thinking of flashing my TP-Link WR1043ND with DD-WRT tomorrow and trying the VPN through it too. I will report back if I get it done tomorrow.

You will want the fastest actual router you can find which equals $$$. I am in the process of buttoning up my x86 build with DDWRT. If you buy the premium x86 license it enables wifi cards and also USB. Mine is just has onboard and an extra NIC card for 2 ports. I run a standard router in AP mode behind the x86 router which is handling the encryption.

See here too...

http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=49

Successfully got my x86 DDWRT up and running. It's a Dell Pentium 4 with 40 GB HDD. It has onboard NIC and an add in PCI NIC. Internet into the onboard NIC. PCI NIC feeds into a LAN port on an E2000 running DDWRT setup as a wifi AP only. A quick Craigslist search nets several older PC's that are more than capable of what you need for about $50. The fastest consumer routers right now run a 600-680 mhz CPU and have around 128-256 MB RAM. So even very old desktops crush these. With 1+ ghz CPUs and 1+ GB RAM. If you already have a wifi router you're golden. I am running the 3/19/12 build of the free public x86 DDWRT build. The paid version of DDWRT will unlock USB support and support for built in PCI wifi cards, but for the $20 paid fee and limited wifi support I'd just go with the setup I have.

Successfully got my x86 DDWRT up and running. It's a Dell Pentium 4 with 40 GB HDD. It has onboard NIC and an add in PCI NIC. Internet into the onboard NIC. PCI NIC feeds into a LAN port on an E2000 running DDWRT setup as a wifi AP only. A quick Craigslist search nets several older PC's that are more than capable of what you need for about $50. The fastest consumer routers right now run a 600-680 mhz CPU and have around 128-256 MB RAM. So even very old desktops crush these. With 1+ ghz CPUs and 1+ GB RAM. If you already have a wifi router you're golden. I am running the 3/19/12 build of the free public x86 DDWRT build. The paid version of DDWRT will unlock USB support and support for built in PCI wifi cards, but for the $20 paid fee and limited wifi support I'd just go with the setup I have.

Do you have it setup to not leak your traffic if the VPN connection dies?

bought the Asus RT-N16. Hope it was a good choice.

I have that model as well as the RT-N12, they both max out at ~6 mbit/s through AirVPN...

I don't worry about leaks very much. I always check I'm connected before I do anything. Support has already said DNS leaks to Google are normal.

I don't worry about leaks very much. I always check I'm connected before I do anything. Support has already said DNS leaks to Google are normal.

Hello!

A DNS leak is not normal. Support meant that if you see Google DNS in the dnsleaktest you're not seeing a leak, you're seeing the DNS eventually queried by our servers.

Kind regards