Not connected, Your IP: 3.149.233.72
blaqreign

ANSWERED Synology router - .ovpn file contains invalid parameters

Posted ... (edited)

When my Synology RT2600ac upgraded the SRM, it appeared to kill router. After jumping through several reset hoops, I finally hoped on airvpn to generate the ovpn file, downloaded it and tried to set it up, but get the error that the parameters are invalid; see screenshot.

I've tried all kinds of ways to try to get it working, but it just won't accept the .ovpn file. What's odd is that I found an ovpn file from several years back and it worked just fine, but the vpn server is no longer active.

This video explains the process to setup the vpn like I had in the past.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgPBLh7Ghw&list=LL&index=1&t=1s

There was a previous thread on this, but it is closed now and didn't seem to provide a helpful answer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

syno vpn issue.png

Edited ... by blaqreign

Posted ... (edited)

Just as a quick followup, it seems to be an issue with the ovpn files and certs. I have a brand new Syno router fresh out of the box and same issue.

Edited ... by blaqreign

20 hours ago, blaqreign said:

've tried all kinds of ways to try to get it working, but it just won't accept the .ovpn file. What's odd is that I found an ovpn file from several years back and it worked just fine, but the vpn server is no longer active.

Hello!

The main differences between today's OVPN files and those of a few years ago:
  1. RSA key size is 4096 bit and not 2048 bit
  2. default generated profile is compatible with 2.5, 3 and 2.6 without DCO
  3. default TLS mode is tls-crypt and not tls-auth

About points 2 and 3, you may force the CG to generate files for different OpenVPN versions:
  • enable "Advanced" mode
  • select the proper OpenVPN version, according to the one you run, on the "OpenVPN profile" combo box
  • consider that you may select entry-IP address 1 (in place of 3) if your OpenVPN version does not support tls-crypt

If the problem is related to the key size (unlikely, but we remember a similar problem some years ago on a different system, which was promptly fixed) you will need to contact the customer service.

Kind regards

Hi, thanks for the info. I was able to get it working with the 2.4 version of ovpn and used the TCP protocol.
I had tried 2.4, but as UDP.

All is working, thanks 🙂

Setup Syno Router VPN.png