Not connected, Your IP: 3.140.188.16

Posted ... (edited)

I've recently moved my VPN-only machine to a separate VLAN with an SMB firewall rule to allow it access to write to locations on my NAS (via an SMB share).

It all works fine in isolation, but as soon as I connect with Eddie, I lost access to the SMB shares.  I assume that the LAN IP is getting "overruled" and the firewall rule is no longer valid, hence SMB is being blocked.  I'm not sure how to get around this though.  Is there a setting somewhere in Eddie where it will ignore connections to certain IPs?

Edit: All good now.  I figured out how to do this through my router.  Generated the OpenVPN file and all connected.  No more Mr Eddie.

Edited ... by Zarkov

6 hours ago, Zarkov said:

Edit: All good now.  I figured out how to do this through my router.  Generated the OpenVPN file and all connected.  No more Mr Eddie.

Hello!

The explanation that comes to mind is that you ran OpenVPN without DNS management (in Linux and FreeBSD OpenVPN doesn't manage DNS by itself), while Eddie by default works to avoid any possible DNS leak (outside the VPN tunnel) and use VPN DNS only. If you accessed shares or any other local resource via hostnames unknown to VPN DNS but known to your local DNS the described problem is explained.

It is anyway possible to configure Eddie to use any DNS you like or not to touch the DNS settings of the machine.

Kind regards