Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.127.141
Sign in to follow this  
jacob777

ANSWERED Windows Fast Startup causes problems

Why do you need to stop Eddie when I shut down my computer? When you don't do that, Eddie freezes/crashes the next time I start windows, I have to restart Windows in order to make Eddie work again.

Why can't I just close windows without babysitting Eddie. Very enjoying.

1 hour ago, jacob777 said:

Why do you need to stop Eddie when I shut down my computer? When you don't do that, Eddie freezes/crashes the next time I start windows, I have to restart Windows in order to make Eddie work again.

Why can't I just close windows without babysitting Eddie. Very enjoying.

Hello!

Provided that exit confirmation prompt is disabled (please confirm, you can verify in "Preferences" > "UI" window) that's unexpected. What are your Windows and Eddie versions?

Kind regards

At first, I thought that was the trick, but unfortunately not. Eddie freezes when I start up with the message "connecting to daemon...". I have to reboot to make Eddie work.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro build: 19045.3930 version: 22H2. Eddie 2.21.8

3 hours ago, jacob777 said:

At first, I thought that was the trick, but unfortunately not. Eddie freezes when I start up with the message "connecting to daemon...". I have to reboot to make Eddie work.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro build: 19045.3930 version: 22H2. Eddie 2.21.8

Hello!

So, you turn off the computer without shutting down Eddie first, and when you turn the computer on again Eddie fails to start. At that point you reboot the system and at the next attempt Eddie starts properly.
If the above description is correct, it sounds like the typical problem caused by fast startup to many programs. Is "Fast startup" option in Windows enabled? If so, can you please try again with that option disabled?

Should the above solve the problem, a concise explanation is due: when fast startup is enabled and you turn off the computer, in reality the computer kills some apps but not some processes and then hibernates. When you turn it on, the system recovers from the hibernation file, it does not perform a startup at all and some processes are woken up while other apps were killed. This will cause problems of all sorts to most programs working on networking from the userspace and more (not to mention the apocalyptic mess it caused with some system updates). When you reboot the system, the system performs a proper shut down and a proper bootstrap, resolving the problems.

Kind regards