Not connected, Your IP: 3.135.205.146
andeyeseeyou

ANSWERED Very slow speeds using AirVPN+Gluetun (Wireguard)

Hello! 

I switched over to AirVPN yesterday and set it up within my Gluetun container that already exists on my Synology box. I have tried using both OpenVPN and Wireguard, but both are providing very slow speeds for both upload and download. I'm capping out at ~20 Mb/s download on very active Linux distro torrents, and less than 1 Mb/s upload on torrents I'm seeding with several active peers downloading from me. I do have port forwarding setup and have confirmed the port is open, and qBittorrent is using the opened port provided by AirVPN.

I have a Gigabit internet connection and when not using a VPN, I am reaching my expected speeds, but when using AirVPN in Gluetun (for both Wireguard and OpenVPN), I consistently see these low speeds and have not noticed a difference between using Wireguard or OpenVPN.

Are there any suggested troubleshooting steps I can take to optimize my speeds to something more reasonable?

Hello!

Please keep using WireGuard and modify the MTU size through the "MTU = n" directive, where n is in bytes. For each size re-start the connection and test the performance thoroughly. Consider at least a couple of VPN servers located around your node and maintain them to cross-test consistently.

To modify the MTU size please edit (with any text editor) WireGuard's configuration file and add a line in the [Interface] section. Start with:
MTU = 1280
then go up at 20 bytes steps (1300, 1320, 1340, ..., 1420). Do not exceed 1420 at the moment. If you see a performance improvement, keep going up. When you see a performance degradation, fine tune between the last and the current value.

If you see poor performance regardless of the MTU size, consider to switch to OpenVPN in TCP mode, in case UDP is capped in your network.

Kind regards