Not connected, Your IP: 3.147.42.168
Sign in to follow this  
bluesjunior

Question on AirVPN Servers?

Long time AirVPN user who has noticed a change in the behaviour of some servers. I have a list of approx 10 Dutch servers which over the years I have found give me the best broadband connection.  A few weeks back I noticed that Anser which had previously always connected through Dutch exchanges was now connecting through British ones. As I don't like to use same country servers I changed to a different one. Checking on Anser each day it was connecting to London based exchanges then after a few days it back to the Dutch ones. I have had this happen with two others as well Horologium and Canis. Is this recognized AirVPN behaviour or should I change something in my set up. I should say that I do not connect to AirVPN 24/7 but only a couple of hours daily.

Hello!

Thank you, you're indeed a long time customer! The behavior you mention is odd as according to the datacenter all Dutch servers have direct presence on AMS-IX. If you notice this thing again, can you please warn us and send us a traceroute to some service (while you're connected to the VPN server of course)? It might be just a different routing with another transit provider under specific circumstances, but let's see.

Kind regards

Here is a screenshot from this morning. Funny thing is when I first opened AirVPN and connected to Anser the Speedtest app showed the London exchanges so I then connected to Alphecca where the exchanges were all Dutch. After finishing my business I checked this thread saw your reply and decided to reconnect to Anser which this time showed the Dutch exchanges on the Speedtest app. I then connected to a few of the other AirVPN servers looking for one which showed the London exchanges but they were all connected to Dutch exchanges. I then tried Anser again and you can see on the screenshot this time it was showing the London exchanges.

Air1.jpg

@bluesjunior

Hello!

Oh wait, that's just the choice of speedtest routines which are based on your node geo-location and maybe even on their server pool availability. It's not relevant to ascertain the routes and transit providers of the VPN server, so the whole issue is probably nonexistent. Anyway, feel free to verify with traceroute or mtr, those tools don't lie. :)

Kind regards