Not connected, Your IP: 3.146.255.127
Sign in to follow this  
mes3

VPN connection speed

Hi Support,

I just did a set of quite extensive tests regarding my VPN connection speed and I am not really happy with the results. I use OpenVPN on an Windows 7 computer and tested servers in the US and Switzerland that all showed a low utilization. I never managed to get more than 1 Mbit/s and most of the time even less. When I disconnect the VPN my download speeds are around 6 Mbit/s so my DSL line is not the limiting factor. How does this relate to the 4 Mbit/s I should see at a minimum? I also tried to open the tunnel from my DD-WRT router, but I get the same results with around 1 Mbit/s max.

What could limit my configuration? Is there a known issue with the AirVPN servers?

Thanks!

Hi Support,

I just did a set of quite extensive tests regarding my VPN connection speed and I am not really happy with the results. I use OpenVPN on an Windows 7 computer and tested servers in the US and Switzerland that all showed a low utilization. I never managed to get more than 1 Mbit/s and most of the time even less. When I disconnect the VPN my download speeds are around 6 Mbit/s so my DSL line is not the limiting factor. How does this relate to the 4 Mbit/s I should see at a minimum? I also tried to open the tunnel from my DD-WRT router, but I get the same results with around 1 Mbit/s max.

What could limit my configuration? Is there a known issue with the AirVPN servers?

Thanks!

Hello!

There are no problems with Air servers.

Please see here for possible causes:

https://airvpn.org/faq#speed

That said, another option is that your ISP is capping bandwidth on some ports. Please try connections on different ports to make a comparison (for example 80 UDP, 80 TCP and 53 UDP).

Kind regards

Just would like to chime in. I just got my DD-WRT X86 build working and I am seeing my full advertised cable speed through the Sirius.

Just would like to chime in. I just got my DD-WRT X86 build working and I am seeing my full advertised cable speed through the Sirius.

Hello!

Great news, thank you for sharing!

Kind regards

Thanks for the tip, I already tried to use port 53 UDP to see if it is a capping issue, but the speed does not improve. In general my regular download speeds to the US and especially Switzerland are quite good and always better than 1 Mbit/s and I also assume that your servers are not limited as well. In the FAQ you mention it is possible to test the speed to your servers without the VPN. I want to further investigate this to identify any isses that I could influence.

On the weekend I will try to use a different ISP to see what the effect is.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, I already tried to use port 53 UDP to see if it is a capping issue, but the speed does not improve. In general my regular download speeds to the US and especially Switzerland are quite good and always better than 1 Mbit/s and I also assume that your servers are not limited as well. In the FAQ you mention it is possible to test the speed to your servers without the VPN. I want to further investigate this to identify any isses that I could influence.

On the weekend I will try to use a different ISP to see what the effect is.

Thanks!

Hello!

Yes, once you're inside the VPN browse to https://speedtest.air to perform a direct speed test with the server, without relying on external services.

Kind regards

The local speedtest showed that I was not getting more than 1.2 Mbit/s. I also changed to Sirius and now the speed is up to what I expected. So it seems that the speed is dependent on the server and the way it is hooked up to upstream ISPs.

It is dependent on server location and your location. Being on the east coast and selecting the Oregon server was not as fast as selecting a VA based server. My only problem with the VA servers is they show up as being in Denmark which throws off streaming of US only services like Hulu. This is true for Sirius at least. I haven't been able to connect to Librae to test where it shows. One of them I think does show correct. I am still in testing of my X86 build and still have some kinks to work out. Getting it to connect with the servers is still hit and miss. So far Sirius and Vega have been successful. Last try to Librae was unsuccessful.