Not connected, Your IP: 3.14.70.203
BigHowski

Can I exclude a URL not an IP from VPN traffic

Hi guys,

I'm guessing this is a no but I just wanted to double check if I could exclude a URL not just an IP as a few websites have lots of IP?

Many thanks

Hello!

You can (Eddie 2.21.8 or higher version required). Please note that the domain name(s) must be resolved with your system DNS, before a VPN connection is started, and therefore Network Lock must allow this exception - Eddie will warn you if this condition is not met. Also note that this is not always a 100% reliable configuration for those services which rely on CDN serving content dynamically.

Kind regards

Firstly many thanks for the reply!

Sorry networking isn't my forte.......... Do you have a guide on how to do this? I think your saying that I'd be forcing my DNS to always resolve to a single IP even if my ISP DNS server would in theory say something different? Is that a Windows setting?

No, what Staff meant was: Entering a domain name (e.g. netflix.com) will resolve that domain before you connect, then handle the resulting IP according to the settings (if you say outside tunnel, that one IP address will be routed outside). It would work with "normal" servers with one IP address but won't work with Content Delivery Networks with constantly shifting IPs. Also, OpenVPN doesn't care about URLs, so you can't enter those.

I guess you want to unblock some Video on Demand service? :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Ah balls, sorry like I said networking isn't my area.

I'd like to keep my Plex server behind a VPN but this is causing issues. I found the below post and I think with it struggling with connecting to plex.tv and seemingly then Plex throttles and transcodes the stream

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/62h6ae/want_to_use_plex_behind_a_vpn_look_here/

It seemed to be fixed once I dropped the VPN even though the upload was ok but I'm taking an educated guess