Not connected, Your IP: 3.140.185.147
bluesjunior

New Router With OpenVPN Option Question?.

Long time user of AirVPN here and have always just installed the Eddie installation direct to my Windows OS. I have recently upgraded my router from a Linksys EA7500 to a TP-Link AX6600, Archer GX90 which has several VPN options in its settings including OpenVPN and PPTP. I only use Air for a couple of hours daily mostly in conjunction with qBittorrent and then disconnect it. My question is, rather than just connect to Air via Windows what are the pros and cons of using one of the VPN options in my new router instead?.

The main reason to have your VPN client on your router is so that your whole house can go through the VPN if you wish - devices that can't run a VPN client themselves can be routed through the VPN tunnel.

But for your situation it sounds like just running Eddie when you need to torrent is the best option.  The main reasons being the simplicity of the setup and the speed.  Routers are known for being slow for openvpn unless they have specific chipsets that can accelerate AES.

Wireguard is fast(er) on routers, yes, but still since you don't use VPN much and only for your windows PC it's not worth getting VPN client running on router IMO.

Depending on the speed difference - some use VPN provider for whole house safety/ad (DNS). This can be using the server closest your residence or the closest server in the next country over..meanwhile using Netherlands et. al. for bitTorrenting etc.
Up to you. It also depends on how many of your household websites will be blacklisting your VPN IP as well.
Can get more deep into subject if you want.