Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.200.180
Wuc66534g9FM

ANSWERED Eddie Login Crashes on Samsung Android & Fire TV OS

Posted ... (edited)

So I just purchased my subscription to AirVPN after doing a ton of research and concluding they were the best. Well, I am beginning to reconsider as the Eddie GUI Client application crashes as soon as I attempt to login on both my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (Android 13, OneUI 5.1) and my Toshiba Fire TV (FireOS 7.6.5.2). Oddly enough, it works fine on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and PIA worked flawlessly on all my devices, so I do not believe it is an issue with my account or router / network. I am using the most recent version from the official site (3.0) and I have tried changing the protocol between OpenVPN and WireGuard and neither work, so I'm at a loss. No other settings have been configured or changed from default on either device. Really rough start to the service, but I'm trying not to immediately lose hope so I'm hoping it's a simple fix on my behalf.

Edited ... by Wuc6$6%534g9F&M

Oh, I can totally see the problem: Your display name. :D I think there might be a bug with user name sanitization; the app interprets either $ or % or & as a control character. The crash might happen at the moment your user name should be displayed in the status box on the main screen.
If it's not a bother, can you please change the display name to something that doesn't contain any special characters and try again? Be advised that you need to login with your new display name henceforth.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hello!

For the readers: the problem got solved after removing the character % from the username (initially, OP username contained it). Eddie Android edition developer is already aware of the issue for additional investigation.
EDIT: bug detected, % is interpreted as a string formatting character. It will be fixed. In the meantime you may consider not to use % as a character in the username.

Kind regards

Probably hung up on the % alone. Java's printf() uses this as a conversion character, so I can totally see this causing an exception.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.