Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.33.41
foDkc4UySz

All Servers' BW Doubled?!? Bug or Feature? Did I miss something?

As the title suggests,

Please see attached...

Do my eyes deceive me?

20gBit/s servers?!?

Slap me if I'm dreaming...

ain.PNG

dalim.PNG

wazn.PNG

xuange.PNG

It's been a forum topic recently. Combination of hardware upgrades and some rethinking of definitions so that current usage and maximum available are measured the same way. Until now, they really weren't, so you'd sometimes see a 1000 Mb/s server supposedly running at 1500 Mb/s. The new system represents things more realistically. 

9 minutes ago, SurprisedItWorks said:

It's been a forum topic recently. Combination of hardware upgrades and some rethinking of definitions so that current usage and maximum available are measured the same way. Until now, they really weren't, so you'd sometimes see a 1000 Mb/s server supposedly running at 1500 Mb/s. The new system represents things more realistically. 

All respect, some specific 10gBit/s introductions or upgrades, but not all... would've expected an outright staff announcement... if I've missed something?

Posted ... (edited)

Here
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/56500-servers-power-up-shown-in-the-web-monitor/?do=findComment&comment=224455
and here (official announcement)
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/56495-servers-power-up-shown-in-the-web-monitor/

Max speeds for end-users remain the same. It's only a change in representation.
Status page counts load of each server as sum of incoming and outgoing traffic. VPN encrypts and forwards traffic so on the server everything you do counts double. Ex. if you download with 100Mbit/s locally that means 200Mbit/s for the VPN server (downloads stuff from the internet and uploads to you). For many years the server were rated 1Gbit/s (500Mbit/s UP + 500Mbit/s DOWN) because of other bottlenecks (CPU usage, handling of many connected users).
Now Wireguard is available, OpenVPN was optimized and over years servers were replaced with more powerful hardware. Status page started showing over 1Gbit/s bandwidth (at one time I saw 1900Mbit/s on 1000Mbit/s rated server [NL]). People were complaining that the servers are overloaded so Staff decided to change it.

Edited ... by matts9

On 7/18/2023 at 5:28 PM, matts9 said:

Max speeds for end-users remain the same.

Noted.
On 7/18/2023 at 5:28 PM, matts9 said:

It's only a change in representation.

The display changed...no up speed increase of any sort.(porting speed etc.)?
Now I'm confused.

58 minutes ago, Flx said:

The display changed...no up speed increase of any sort.(porting speed etc.)?

Well, I don't know. After reading other posts I assumed it was only a change on status page.
Maybe you're right. Over-time they upgraded servers and internet lines to full-duplex 1/10Gbit and that's now complete...
I jumped to conclusions, @Staff would have to comment.

3 hours ago, matts9 said:

Well, I don't know. After reading other posts I assumed it was only a change on status page.
Maybe you're right. Over-time they upgraded servers and internet lines to full-duplex 1/10Gbit and that's now complete...
I jumped to conclusions, @Staff would have to comment.

Hello!

You are and were correct, you can also see here the announcement:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/56495-servers-power-up-shown-in-the-web-monitor/

Kind regards