Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.5.183
rgrdgr

Hummingbird client vs stock openvpn

I've been running openvpn to connect my docker stack to AirVPN.  Is there any advantage of using the AirVPN suite or Hummingbird vs stock openvpn?  

@rgrdgr

Hello!

In the Suite, both Bluetit and Hummingbird offer a Network Lock feature which might come handy (or vital) to prevent any kind of traffic leak outside the VPN tunnel. Furthermore, they are both linked against OpenVPN3-AirVPN library, which offers significant bonuses and bug fixes if compared to OpenVPN3 main branch. Last but not least, Bluetit is integrated with AirVPN, so with Bluetit and Goldcrest you don't need profiles, if you don't want to use them. Check the user's manual to see even more options offered by the Suite which OpenVPN stock doesn't offer. https://airvpn.org/suite/readme/

Kind regards

OK.  Looks good except I get this error:

openvpn-client  | Tue Jul  4 15:11:15.853 2023 VPN Server has pushed IPv4 DNS server 10.24.182.1

openvpn-client  | Tue Jul  4 15:11:15.853 2023 ERROR: Cannot create a backup copy of resolv.conf

This is running in docker, so you may not be able to support me exactly.  (I'm using hummingbird; I don't think bluetit/goldcrest will work in docker.)

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?  I'm not getting any DNS resolution and I think this is the cause.

Hello!

Since Hummingbird is not authorized to create a copy of resolv.conf, launch it with --ignore-dns-push and handle your DNS manually (if you want to consider the VPN server DNS push), like you had to do with OpenVPN for example. By ignoring the DNS push, Hummingbird will not need anymore to create a backup copy of your resolv.conf file.

Kind regards