Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.253.93
GaryUnwin

ANSWERED Airvpn home page consumes a lot of CPU resource.

It needs to become faster. Airvpn home page slows down my computer. I guess the colorful flakes on the home page consume a lot of CPU resources.

Hello!

Very strange. For our knowledge base, what are your system OS, your hardware and your browser? Anyway be patient, the birthday promotion will end soon. In the meantime you can point directly to one of the inner pages since only the home page features the animation.

Kind regards

funny, for me it does not cause any additional load (neither in Linux/Firefox neither in Windows/Firefox). Don't use other browsers but hard to believe situation would be different.

On 6/8/2023 at 7:48 AM, Staff said:

For our knowledge base, what are your system OS, your hardware and your browser?

Gentoo Linux
Browser: Librewolf
I wouldn't reveal too much detail of my hardware for privacy, but it doesn't have a good GPU. The CPU is neither slow nor fast.

What, you think you can be identified by simply stating your CPU and GPU models? :D Unless you post unique ID like serial numbers, your fears are completely unfounded and, truth be told, bordering on paranoia. And nobody requested UIDs of any kind.

Be advised that you are reporting a performance issue which depends on some kind of a processing unit to render; info on said processing units is the bare minimum to work out whether it's your hardware or actually the home page. Exceedingly vague answers like "the CPU is neither slow nor fast" don't help anyone. Please state said models so the web dev can see whether adjusting the amount of flakes shown alleviates the performance issue on, what appears to be, less performant hardware.

Though, honestly, you say your CPU is "average", but you're using a source-based distro which allows you to set compiler flags at will. At this point I'd even suspect you boggling said compiler config to unintentionally disable certain performance flags.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

12 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

your fears are completely unfounded and, truth be told, bordering on paranoia.

When I used another forum, a moderator suspended my second account because he linked it with my first account which I stopped using months ago. I deleted password for the first account, so I lost access to both accounts. I asked the creator of the forum to delete my two accounts. They were deleted fortunately.

The moderator didn't like what I was writing. He linked two accounts partially because I stated my specific gears. Almost no one else has the same CPU and the same GPU on this forum. It seems I better buy a new computer to change my device fingerprint. A person's device fingerprint can be used with verbal habits to identify an individual's multiple accounts on a forum.

Moderators can also find two related accounts through timing analysis if they don't like what someone is writing.

If you reveal more of device fingerprint along with your life details, then you can be identified across multiple unrelated forums.

It may be okay to reveal a partial device fingerprint if you planned account isolation in advance.

11 hours ago, GaryUnwin said:

GPU: AMD HD 6450

This should be more than enough. Which driver are you using here? Output of:

$ lspci -ks `lspci|grep "VGA compatible"|cut -f1 -d" "`

My answer was not gonna depend on the GPU. See if Firefox's GPU rendering pipeline is enabled (WebRender) bonus points if you check whether video decoding acceleration is enabled and works. Archlinux wiki should get you there in no time. It's starts with about:support and scrolling down.
These fancy animations even if done right would cause serious CPU load in this case. It's like Christmas of 2005 never ended.

8 hours ago, Stalinium said:

See if Firefox's GPU rendering pipeline is enabled (WebRender)

In about:config, gfx.webrender.enabled is set to false. I don't know where else to test webrender after birthday promotion ended.

You could test by visiting an old archived version of AirVPNs page on archive.org. Actually my answer above is an educated assumption, I'd be positively surprised if this fixed the high CPU load for you.

I've moved on. This is not something I should manually configure for anyway. Websites should aim to be lightweight. They don't exist to make computers do heavy lifting.

On 7/8/2023 at 3:08 AM, GaryUnwin said:

I've moved on. This is not something I should manually configure for anyway. Websites should aim to be lightweight. They don't exist to make computers do heavy lifting.

Sure, but you are the first to mention poor performance, so the logical action of all of us was to probe your setup first and see where the bottleneck is.