Not connected, Your IP: 18.223.0.53

Is there any progress with eddie? The last stable version is from a year ago and the experimental version from last October still hasn't been pushed to stable. Any updates from staff that I have missed?

I was wondering about the same, been using the 2.22.2 version ("experimental" status) on macOS 13.3 since October 2022 without any issues. My guess it, that staff wants to test it maybe for a little longer before flagging it as "stable" ?! But I haven't seen any communication for Eddie since then, so I don't think you missed anything.

Posted ... (edited)

Eddie is developed behind closed doors. Upon release, all commits are squashed into one jumbo commit commented with the release version which is then pushed. The only communication during this time is usually via beta release threads in the Announcements forum, and that's also the only way to report bugs and other annoyances (during betas, that is).
As a side note, this approach makes beta releases de facto closed source software in violation of its license, the GPL. :D

I apologize; this is true for the AirVPN Suite and Hummingbird only.

Edited ... by OpenSourcerer

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

17 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Eddie is developed behind closed doors. Upon release, all commits are squashed into one jumbo commit commented with the release version which is then pushed. The only communication during this time is usually via beta release threads in the Announcements forum, and that's also the only way to report bugs and other annoyances (during betas, that is).
As a side note, this approach makes beta releases de facto closed source software in violation of its license, the GPL. :D

Hello! There's a part of an old urban legend here. Eddie's source code is available on GitHub (including the current 2.22.2 which is still considered "beta", according to the unorthodox release cycle of Eddie), anyway the essence of the urban legend is assuming that a license enforces restrictions on future releases of a certain work on the copyright holders themselves.

The copyright holders are not restricted on future development or re-arrangement of a work of mind by any previous license since they are the "legal owners" (according to the international treaties which overlap intellectual monopoly with intellectual property and the EU legal framework on intellectual monopolies). On subsequent releases, the license of the current work always defines and/or restricts the rights of third parties, and not the rights of the legal owners. At the same time, the license we agreed to pick grants third parties that no retroactive restrictions are possible. 

If Eddie's developer decided to distribute an Eddie version without source code he would have the legal right to do so, provided that Eddie does not include third-party code licensed with restrictions against closed source code. It doesn't happen because of AirVPN mission (and Eddie's developer is also an AirVPN co-founder), but legally it would be Eddie's developer right.

An identical right is reserved to AirVPN Suite developers, and exercised on both senses. If you notice, when a Suite alpha or beta version is made available to community testers, the OpenVPN3-AirVPN library against which the Suite is linked is always open source, while the proprietary preview code is closed. It is then re-licensed and opened (usually under GPLv3 but we're not ruling out different, more permissive licenses, for the parts we have exclusive rights on) only when the development team considers the software as "stable". Even in this case, releasing a copyrighted software as a preview does not prevent the developers to re-license and open it in the future (so far to make it open source under GPL).

Is there any progress with eddie? The last stable version is from a year ago and the experimental version from last October still hasn't been pushed to stable. Any updates from staff that I have missed

You did not miss anything. Eddie 2.22.2 is still the latest "experimental", but the testing work is over. If nothing serious comes out (fingers crossed) you will see a new stable release very soon. :)

Kind regards

6 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello! There's a part of an old urban legend here. Eddie's source code is available on GitHub (including the current 2.22.2 which is still considered "beta", according to the unorthodox release cycle of Eddie), anyway the essence of the urban legend is assuming that a license enforces restrictions on future releases of a certain work on the copyright holders themselves.

I mixed this up with how AirVPN Suite and Hummingbird versions are handled, I apologize. Eddie never had this.

I will save my stern words directed at these two projects and their dev for when it's more on-topic. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.