Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.183.14

Why hard disks?

Hello Team AirVPN, 

I have been using VPN services for several years and I keep coming across you guys. 

I think your values and reputation are very good. The only thing that keeps me from subscribing to you is that you use hard drives. 

With what I have learned about you, privacy, anonymity is very important to you. 

Why do you put hard disks in your rented server? 

Kind regards 

@AVPN0815

Hello!

That's not entirely correct because we use RAM disks. It is true that an HDD or SSD is used to boot, and it contains a working boot record, grub software or similar, used in turn to load a kernel which must provide TCP/IP, network and basic services support, but anything else is downloaded via network (after the network is up, obviously).

At each (re)boot the server can not start, because it is barred from downloading any relevant file until we authorize the reboot, so it will miss even the essential configuration files, scripts, keys... This allows us to check the kernel (once the network is up) and any relevant storage file against a pristine copy, especially if the reboot is unexpected. Once the TCP/IP stack, the network and their essential services have come up, and a manual authorization has been dispatched by AirVPN management, the server starts downloading any other file needed for normal operations, and all of that remains in RAM disks.

Kind regards

11 hours ago, AVPN0815 said:

The only thing that keeps me from subscribing to you is that you use hard drives

The more interesting question is the source of this information. Would you kindly provide that so it can be corrected?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.