Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.174.55

Posted ... (edited)

Hello,

I good some Questions where i coudlnt find a Answer [Or at least some Answers that are some years old]

1. Does AirVPN supports Multi-HOP ? But with Custom Rules and not pre configured Routes | If not, is there a Reason to not add this Feature ? I mean it add a layer to Security and Privacy
2. How are the Server secured against Third-Parties ? [Hoster, Police, Goverment]
3. Are they any Logs ? Like MAC-Adress, Timestep, Last-Login or something else ?
4. Are there any Third-Audits or maybe Server seized that could proof any of your No-Logs etc ?

Best regards

Edited ... by Dasilo
Add new Question

2 hours ago, Dasilo said:

Does AirVPN supports Multi-HOP ? But with Custom Rules and not pre configured Routes | If not, is there a Reason to not add this Feature ?

The multihop feature reroutes certain traffic via one of the rerouting servers. This is done against geolocation-based restrictions; it's not a general multi-hop as you imagine it. Reason is that the rerouting servers' requirements are more lax compared to the normal ones everyone can connect to, so support for custom settings is unlikely to see the light of day.

Are there any Third-Audits or maybe Server seized that could proof any of your No-Logs etc ?

I remember the seizure of all UA servers from UrDN by the National Security Service of Ukraine, SBU. Whether it had any effect on users is unknown.Aside from that, no other seizures happened AFAIR.

Are they any Logs ? Like MAC-Adress, Timestep, Last-Login or something else ?

There is some information regarding connection state being retained which is exposed to you for transparency reasons: Your IP address for example, which can be viewed in the sessions overview, timestamps of the start of connections and how much traffic was exchanged and your current throughput. The latter three are used in the ranking (which hides user names in the public's eye). All of this is purged when the session is closed.
A short while back there was a connection archive which listed timestamps, traffic volume, server and device and sums up the total number of sessions and traffic throughout the lifetime of the account, but it was removed. I can see how it could sow doubts amongst a certain clientele. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

8 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

The multihop feature reroutes certain traffic via one of the rerouting servers. This is done against geolocation-based restrictions; it's not a general multi-hop as you imagine it. Reason is that the rerouting servers' requirements are more lax compared to the normal ones everyone can connect to, so support for custom settings is unlikely to see the light of day.

I remember the seizure of all UA servers from UrDN by the National Security Service of Ukraine, SBU. Whether it had any effect on users is unknown.Aside from that, no other seizures happened AFAIR.

There is some information regarding connection state being retained which is exposed to you for transparency reasons: Your IP address for example, which can be viewed in the sessions overview, timestamps of the start of connections and how much traffic was exchanged and your current throughput. The latter three are used in the ranking (which hides user names in the public's eye). All of this is purged when the session is closed.
A short while back there was a connection archive which listed timestamps, traffic volume, server and device and sums up the total number of sessions and traffic throughout the lifetime of the account, but it was removed. I can see how it could sow doubts amongst a certain clientele. :)
Hello,

Thanks for your Answer ! I'm just asking because i'm a Journalist and try to stay as "Anonym" as possible. Some People recommended your VPN, thats why i'm asking.

So there is no way that if AirVPN get a Request or a Server seizere that could identify me as a Person or see my Traffic in real time ?

3 hours ago, Dasilo said:

Thanks for your Answer ! I'm just asking because i'm a Journalist and try to stay as "Anonym" as possible. Some People recommended your VPN, thats why i'm asking.

So there is no way that if AirVPN get a Request or a Server seizere that could identify me as a Person or see my Traffic in real time ?

The breach always sources from the weakest point. As such, you should not regard the VPN as the ultimate solution for everything. If you really feel like your work endangers your life (in all honesty, though, when you can find yourself short of being executed for factual writing), it should only be a part of your mechanism, not all of it. The rest is kinda up to you: Your OS and browser choices and their configuration, the type of connection from your computer to the router, choice of credentials, etc.

I'd rate these measures extreme enough for people directly in danger of being physically harmed: War correspondents and probably investigative journalists (also foreign) in authoritarian countries. I deem them way overboard for any other topics and countries; a simple VPN is enough in all these cases.

11 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

The breach always sources from the weakest point. As such, you should not regard the VPN as the ultimate solution for everything. If you really feel like your work endangers your life (in all honesty, though, when you can find yourself short of being executed for factual writing), it should only be a part of your mechanism, not all of it. The rest is kinda up to you: Your OS and browser choices and their configuration, the type of connection from your computer to the router, choice of credentials, etc.

I'd rate these measures extreme enough for people directly in danger of being physically harmed: War correspondents and probably investigative journalists (also foreign) in authoritarian countries. I deem them way overboard for any other topics and countries; a simple VPN is enough in all these cases.
Well i run different OS-Systems and also use Librewolf with some Privacy Settings etc.

I know that a VPN is just one part of all, but i want to be sure that this part is safe/secure. That why i'm asking :)

19 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Hey, small Question. Maybe you can help me Out.

I dont want that my ISP see my Directly Server, so i want to add a Server torwards [So Multi-Hop]
Is there a way to add like "Switzerland" before i connect to idk Germany ? Because i couldnt find any Setting

Is there a way to add like "Switzerland" before i connect to idk Germany ? Because i couldnt find any Setting

As written in my first reply, the multi-hop you want is not implemented and probably never will be. You can, however, try to use VPN over Tor with Eddie. The only connection detail exposed this way would be a connection to some random entry node of the Tor network.

25 minutes ago, OpenSourcerer said:

As written in my first reply, the multi-hop you want is not implemented and probably never will be. You can, however, try to use VPN over Tor with Eddie. The only connection detail exposed this way would be a connection to some random entry node of the Tor network.
Okay, but as i saw it Right.

There is already a "Multi-Hop" since the Entrance-IP isnt the Exit-IP or the IP for the Server directly right ? So this Standard-Multihop isnt needed anymore right ?

24 minutes ago, Dasilo said:

There is already a "Multi-Hop" since the Entrance-IP isnt the Exit-IP or the IP for the Server directly right ? So this Standard-Multihop isnt needed anymore right ?

Every server has four entry IPs and one exit IP. They're not multi-hop addresses or anything, they are assigned to the same server. You'll always be using one entry and one exit, both assigned to the same server.

Just now, OpenSourcerer said:

Every server has four entry IPs and one exit IP. They're not multi-hop addresses or anything, they are assigned to the same server. You'll always be using one entry and one exit, both assigned to the same server.
Okay, so the only way to hide my VPN-IP to my ISP/Goverment is to use Tor and then AirVPN right ?

As the instructions point out, start the Tor bundle, then connect with Eddie using the Tor protocol in the Proxy settings. This will connect to AirVPN via Tor.

I kindly repeat that this approach is already kinda overkill unless you fear for your life or that of your family.