Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.137.243
Sign in to follow this  
md31lith

Windows File and Printer Sharing - Noob Question

Hi,

VPNs are new to me but I'm learning as much as I can, but have one question i can't seem to find any info on:

I have AirVPN running on my network server, which has File and Printer sharing enable ("File and Printer sharing for microsoft networks") for the physical LAN connection. For the TAP network I open properties and disabled "File and Printer sharing for microsoft networks". I have a few folders shared for my home network (Mp3s, etc).

Can anyone on the other end of the VPN connection access my files? Can they access the rest of my home LAN network? Is this a secure set up? If not, what can be done to fix this?

Thank you!!

Hi,

VPNs are new to me but I'm learning as much as I can, but have one question i can't seem to find any info on:

I have AirVPN running on my network server, which has File and Printer sharing enable ("File and Printer sharing for microsoft networks") for the physical LAN connection. For the TAP network I open properties and disabled "File and Printer sharing for microsoft networks". I have a few folders shared for my home network (Mp3s, etc).

Can anyone on the other end of the VPN connection access my files? Can they access the rest of my home LAN network? Is this a secure set up? If not, what can be done to fix this?

Thank you!!

Hello!

Ports 137, 138, 139 and 445 are closed and clients within the virtual network can't communicate with each other (inside the network), so your shared resources can't be accessed, at least through the VPN. In general, a client on the VPN has all ports closed, in order to open them the client owner must explicitly forward ports remotely.

There is a way to overcome this security limitation, it requires remote port forwarding with remap to the above mentioned local ports. Just don't do it and you are secure on the VPN side.

Kind regards