Not connected, Your IP: 18.223.125.219
Sign in to follow this  
syncronized77101

AirVPN noobie configuration questions

I'm currently doing research on the different VPN services available and thinking about purchasing AirVpn due to the new laws about torrenting in my country. A couple of questions....

1. Is AirVPN software that encrypts all of my traffic? Do I need to configure my web browser? Do I need to configure my router?

2. I am a heavy Utorrent user (personal use)...do I need to configure Utorrent client?

3. I do not live in the USA but I would like to view the TV websites that have full episodes...with AirVPN can I change my location to the US to do this? ie Netflix, Hulu, etc

Thanks in advance!!

I'm currently doing research on the different VPN services available and thinking about purchasing AirVpn due to the new laws about torrenting in my country. A couple of questions....

1. Is AirVPN software that encrypts all of my traffic? Do I need to configure my web browser? Do I need to configure my router?

2. I am a heavy Utorrent user (personal use)...do I need to configure Utorrent client?

3. I do not live in the USA but I would like to view the TV websites that have full episodes...with AirVPN can I change my location to the US to do this? ie Netflix, Hulu, etc

Thanks in advance!!

Hello!

1. AirVPN is based on OpenVPN. Our OpenVPN servers push automatically routes to your client so that all your traffic is encrypted. Keys are RSA 2048 bit, data channel is encrypted with AES-256-CBC cypher and the packets verification is HMAC SHA-1 160 bit. The authentication is based on two certificates and a client key. In our configuration OpenVPN performs a TLS re-keying with overlapping windows (so that there's no delay or bottleneck during re-keying) every 60 minutes (as by default).

You don't need to configure anything on your router if you connect from a computer or a mobile device.

Just in case you have a DD-WRT/Tomato/OpenWRT router with OpenVPN support, you can alternatively perform the connection directly from the router, instead from you computer. In this case you would need to configure OpenVPN on the router. This is totally optional.

2. No, you don't need to. When you connect to an Air server you are behind a "cone-NAT" (p2p friendly) which latest uTorrent versions are able to "punch". Anyway you can remotely forward a port and then insert the same port number as the listening uTorrent port, to make your client immediately reachable from the Internet without traversing the NAT. This is particularly useful should you use a torrent client which can't traverse a NAT.

3. Yes. We currently provide 5 servers in the USA for a total available throughput bandwidth of 5000 Mbit/s. https://airvpn.org/status

Some more information on the service can be found on the FAQ:

https://airvpn.org/faq

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.

Kind regards

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Through my research, I've seen other VPN services offer "IP binding", where if the VPN connection goes down, the application (ie Utorrent) stops transmitting.

Does the AirVpn application have the same sort of feature?

Thanks again

Thanks for the quick reply!! :)

Through my research, I've seen other VPN services offer "IP binding", where if the VPN connection goes down, the application (ie Utorrent) stops transmitting.

Does the AirVpn application have the same sort of feature?

Thanks again

Hello!

Please see the links "Prevent leaks with..." in the announcement section of the forum according to your system:

https://airvpn.org/forums

Kind regards

Hello!

Please see the links "Prevent leaks with..." in the announcement section of the forum according to your system:

https://airvpn.org/forums

Kind regards

Hi, another newbie question. In addition to the VPN disconnection leaks, do the instructions in the above mentioned links ("Prevent leaks with Windows & Comodo" and "Prevent leaks with Linux & iptables") cover also the DNS leaks? Or should I do something else such as the instructions mentioned in: http://www.dnsleaktest.com/how-to-fix-a-dns-leak.php

Just about getting my first subscription..

BR,

Kari

Hi, another newbie question. In addition to the VPN disconnection leaks, do the instructions in the above mentioned links ("Prevent leaks with Windows & Comodo" and "Prevent leaks with Linux & iptables") cover also the DNS leaks?

Hello!

About Windows and Comodo yes, absolutely, the recommended rules prevent DNS leaks.

About Linux, it does not suffer DNS leaks, which is a typical Windows problem basically related to the fact that Windows lacks the concept of global DNS.

So just set your favorite DNS servers (for example by editing /etc/resolv.conf if you don't have resolvconf installed) and OpenVPN will tunnel them. Only obvious exception: nameserver in which case DNS queries will be sent to your router and the the router will send them out unencrypted.

Kind regards