Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.205.5
Sign in to follow this  
jhost

Setting up AirVPN for utorrent

Hi I have recently purchased AirVPN mainly for torrenting. I use utorrent an would like to know how to set it up properly, as I have a set port and I have portforwarded it on the website but am getting a DANGER signal when checking it on the site.

I would appreciate a fast response.

Thanks

Hi I have recently purchased AirVPN mainly for torrenting. I use utorrent an would like to know how to set it up properly, as I have a set port and I have portforwarded it on the website but am getting a DANGER signal when checking it on the site.

I would appreciate a fast response.

Thanks

Hello!

Please see here:

https://airvpn.org/faq#p2p

If you get a red token on TCP, please make sure that you have NOT forwarded, on the router, the same port(s) you have remotely forwarded. The red token shows you that the port forwarding works, but that your device may be subject to some correlation attacks.

Kind regards

What about the UDP port that bittorrent clients uses for DHT? It is always unsafe to open UDP ports through the VPN? If this is the case I guess we must renounce to DHT.

Thanks if you can clear this doubt.

What about the UDP port that bittorrent clients uses for DHT? It is always unsafe to open UDP ports through the VPN? If this is the case I guess we must renounce to DHT. :(

Thanks if you can clear this doubt.

Hello!

It is not unsafe (generally speaking) to forward UDP ports. DHT does not need a forwarded port, however uTorrent will try to connect to a uTorrent server (owned by uTorrent company) for DHT bootstrap. DHT bootstrap with the aid of a central server could be necessary at the first run of uTorrent, or maybe after a long time during which uTorrent was never launched, in all other cases the bootstrap should be performed successfully from known peers and not central servers. Latest uTorrent versions don't even need any remotely forwarded port in Air servers, because they can "traverse" Air NAT (which is p2p friendly) with the help of other peers in the swarm. Just wait a couple of minutes with a running torrent and you'll see that the connection token will get green.

Kind regards