Not connected, Your IP: 52.14.85.76
Sign in to follow this  
MajesticMint

ISP's DNS Question

I am a first time user of VPN's, I am having good success with AirVPN thus far, at least as far as speed under a VPN goes.

I am however confused as to the true level of security/privacy I have, how would one go about testing/benchmarking such a thing?

[Root Question] While using AirVPN I am using my ISP's DNS, what can they see, web addresses, p2p files, just traffic?

I am a first time user of VPN's, I am having good success with AirVPN thus far, at least as far as speed under a VPN goes.

I am however confused as to the true level of security/privacy I have, how would one go about testing/benchmarking such a thing?

[Root Question] While using AirVPN I am using my ISP's DNS, what can they see, web addresses, p2p files, just traffic?

Hello!

It depends if you route the DNS queries inside or outside the tunnel. In the first case your ISP DNS servers will receive the queries from our VPN servers, thus preventing any privacy breach.

In the second case, you would be sending out unencrypted DNS queries directly to your ISP DNS servers (this is commonly named "DNS leak"), so your ISP (and any other entity that potentially monitors your connection) can see them. DNS queries are used for domain names resolutions, therefore your ISP can't see anyway any other packet payload, and can't see the files that you share via p2p. It can however see which hosts you connect to, each time your system performs a resolution for a hostname not included in hosts.

We recommend that you solve the issue if your system is leaking DNS queries. In order to determine if it's the case, can you please tell us your OS and the client you're using?

Kind regards

I'm using:

Windows 8 (I'm actually liking it thus far, well minus the whole start screen interface thing)

Air VPN Client

As well as the recommended setup for COMODO Firewall (managed to get the settings right on the second go through, *success*)

[Additional Question] ISP's rated internet speed: 30 MB/s download, My normal speed test average: 43 MB/s download, My new average speed test while using a Air VPN server that is a little bit over 2000 miles away from me: 51.5 MB/s. How does this even make the slightest bit of sense!?

Thanks for the very informative answers by the way.

While using AirVPN I am using my ISP's DNS

i'm not fond of using the ones provided by the ISP, may i suggest using open DNS.

better still, use their DNS Crypt service: https://www.opendns.com/technology/dnscrypt/

1. In plain English, what is DNSCrypt?

DNSCrypt is a piece of lightweight software that everyone should use to boost online privacy and security. It works by encrypting all DNS traffic between the user and OpenDNS, preventing any spying, spoofing or man-in-the-middle attacks.

I'm confused, so what that software does is encrypt my ISP's DNS so that even if the DNS does leak it won't be readable, or is the software closing an insecurity that I might have with DNS outside of the tunnel? ( I'm not actually sure what I'm doing as far as DNS goes by the way, just assuming because I didn't manually change any DNS settings that it's defaulting to my ISPs)

I'm using:

Windows 8 (I'm actually liking it thus far, well minus the whole start screen interface thing)

Air VPN Client

As well as the recommended setup for COMODO Firewall (managed to get the settings right on the second go through, *success*)

Hello!

In this case you can't have a DNS leak, the rules will prevent all of them.

[Additional Question] ISP's rated internet speed: 30 MB/s download, My normal speed test average: 43 MB/s download, My new average speed test while using a Air VPN server that is a little bit over 2000 miles away from me: 51.5 MB/s. How does this even make the slightest bit of sense!?

Even assuming that you mean Mbit/s instead of MB/s, it's quite odd. Maybe your ISP allows bandwidth bursts?

Kind regards