Jump to content
Not connected, Your IP: 3.234.210.25
OWild

eddie stuck for latency test

Recommended Posts

Hello there,

Since several days eddie doesn't  anymore connect to the "best" server automatically (in few seconds) and so doesn't connect at all since I have the setting "enable latency test" enabled (of course). It performs latency tests during few minutes and stuck for the last 3, 4, or 5 last servers which are in maintenance.
So i have to manually connect to one of the already tested servers with few latency. Se below the screenchot of latency test and the system report.
Why this change ?

Thanks for your help.

Screenshot_20220824_093548.png

sysreport.txt

Share this post


Link to post

This morning the connection works automatically, but takes 12 minutes to perform latency tests of all servers while it takes few seconds 5 weeks ago... Does anyone have an explanation or is in the same situation ?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Staff said:
@OWild

Hello!

Can you tell us your Operating System name and version, as well as Eddie version?

Kind regards
 
All information are in the previously sysreport.txt file uploaded :

Eddie System/Environment Report - 24/08/2022 - 07:46 UTC

Eddie version: 2.21.8
Eddie OS build: linux_x64
Eddie architecture: x64
OS type: Linux
OS name: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
OS version: 11 (bullseye)
OS architecture: x64
...

Share this post


Link to post

I have had similar a few times before. Typical causes and resolutions:

  • Weak wireless connection. Move laptop and try again.
  • Internet connection down. Restart router or wait for connection to be restored.
  • Unknown, as if software had flipped out. Close browsers and internet dependent applications, close Eddie, then launch Eddie.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, EclecticFish said:

I have had similar a few times before. Typical causes and resolutions:

  • Weak wireless connection. Move laptop and try again.
  • Internet connection down. Restart router or wait for connection to be restored.
  • Unknown, as if software had flipped out. Close browsers and internet dependent applications, close Eddie, then launch Eddie.
Thanks for your help.
But my laptop have an ethernet connection and the router/box never lost the connection.  I have this problem every time I use eddie, at each boot with no software launched.
However my other computer with the same linux distribution doesnt' have the same issue with the same eddie version.
So I try to reset the defaults settings of eddie but it doesn't work...

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, OWild said:
Thanks for your help.
But my laptop have an ethernet connection and the router/box never lost the connection.  I have this problem every time I use eddie, at each boot with no software launched.
However my other computer with the same linux distribution doesnt' have the same issue with the same eddie version.
So I try to reset the defaults settings of eddie but it doesn't work...

 
It's a long time since I've had this happen. Back then I suspected a memory leak.
All things being equal Eddie should behave the same way on both laptops. Perhaps all things are not equal? Could a Debian update have affected it?
For example an update to any of the packages listed for OpenVPN in Debian https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/openvpn
I once had a conflict in Mint which prevented Eddie from launching (at least you don't have that problem). This occurred after using my package manager to remove the current version in order to revert to an older version of Eddie. 
Purging all instances on the command line resolved that problem. The following thread may not be quite the same but maybe a starting point for some ideas? https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?p=107531

Share this post


Link to post

i have the same problem on 2 machines (both dual-boot) when i use the linux (arch derivates manjaro and archcraft) the latency test hangs for a long time
on both machines the windows 10 version works fine
all updated x64

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/29/2022 at 9:03 PM, EclecticFish said:
It's a long time since I've had this happen. Back then I suspected a memory leak.
All things being equal Eddie should behave the same way on both laptops. Perhaps all things are not equal? Could a Debian update have affected it?
For example an update to any of the packages listed for OpenVPN in Debian https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/openvpn
I once had a conflict in Mint which prevented Eddie from launching (at least you don't have that problem). This occurred after using my package manager to remove the current version in order to revert to an older version of Eddie. 
Purging all instances on the command line resolved that problem. The following thread may not be quite the same but maybe a starting point for some ideas? https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?p=107531
One computer is a laptop and one is desktop, both x64.
Yesterday evening I suspected, like you an update, since the desktop didn't receive it because not enough place for the new kernel.
So I remove old kernels and install the linux-image-5.10.0-17-amd64 > 5.10.136-1 and experienced now the same problem with both computer : very very long latency tests. I' m pretty sure that I only install the kernel yesterday.
It is maybe quite like this : https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1865506.html but with openvpn I guess...
 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/31/2022 at 10:21 AM, OWild said:
One computer is a laptop and one is desktop, both x64.
Yesterday evening I suspected, like you an update, since the desktop didn't receive it because not enough place for the new kernel.
So I remove old kernels and install the linux-image-5.10.0-17-amd64 > 5.10.136-1 and experienced now the same problem with both computer : very very long latency tests. I' m pretty sure that I only install the kernel yesterday.
It is maybe quite like this : https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1865506.html but with openvpn I guess...
 

That shows a consistent result, pointing at the problem being introduced by the Debian update. OpenVPN say that they make Debian and Ubuntu pre-built binaries available because: "Official Debian and Ubuntu repositories tend to have fairly old OpenVPN versions available" so I wonder if a dependency was deprecated due to the kernel update. I'm not an expert but I would be tempted to remove and install Eddie, so that the Eddie package script runs and ensures that all dependencies are the correct version. 
 
22 hours ago, Ambroz said:

Same error with Manjaro

That's interesting as Manjaro is based on Arch, which tends to use the latest packages it can find, rather than the most stable. At least That was my understanding. I haven't used Arch for years. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted ... (edited)

I have the same problem (stuck at "13 to go" latency test) since I updated to Ubuntu 22.04.1.
Will try to remove and reinstall Eddie.

Removed and reinstalled: same problem.

Edited ... by CheckIt

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/1/2022 at 3:10 PM, EclecticFish said:

That shows a consistent result, pointing at the problem being introduced by the Debian update. OpenVPN say that they make Debian and Ubuntu pre-built binaries available because: "Official Debian and Ubuntu repositories tend to have fairly old OpenVPN versions available" so I wonder if a dependency was deprecated due to the kernel update. I'm not an expert but I would be tempted to remove and install Eddie, so that the Eddie package script runs and ensures that all dependencies are the correct version. 
  That's interesting as Manjaro is based on Arch, which tends to use the latest packages it can find, rather than the most stable. At least That was my understanding. I haven't used Arch for years. 

 
I tried to remove and reinstall eddie, but issues remains...

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, OWild said:
On 9/1/2022 at 2:10 PM, EclecticFish said:

That shows a consistent result, pointing at the problem being introduced by the Debian update. OpenVPN say that they make Debian and Ubuntu pre-built binaries available because: "Official Debian and Ubuntu repositories tend to have fairly old OpenVPN versions available" so I wonder if a dependency was deprecated due to the kernel update. I'm not an expert but I would be tempted to remove and install Eddie, so that the Eddie package script runs and ensures that all dependencies are the correct version. 
  That's interesting as Manjaro is based on Arch, which tends to use the latest packages it can find, rather than the most stable. At least That was my understanding. I haven't used Arch for years. 

 
I tried to remove and reinstall eddie, but issues remains...
That's a nuisance. I found the official Debian OpenVPN package page here, which also lists the two maintainers: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/openvpn 
Looking at the change log it would appear that there have been no package updates since last year: https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/o/openvpn/openvpn_2.5.1-3_changelog
Here is the patches page, although it's not obvious when these patches were issued: https://sources.debian.org/patches/openvpn/2.5.1-3/

Although I didn't find release notes for the patch I did find this article which lists the CVEs the latest patch fixes: https://www.linuxexperten.com/news/debian-11-linux-lmde5-kernel-update-5101361

Incidentally, going back to I think your original post, I generally select servers manually but it's nice having the option to let Eddie choose.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2022 at 2:39 AM, EclecticFish said:
That's a nuisance. I found the official Debian OpenVPN package page here, which also lists the two maintainers: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/openvpn 
Looking at the change log it would appear that there have been no package updates since last year: https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/o/openvpn/openvpn_2.5.1-3_changelog
Here is the patches page, although it's not obvious when these patches were issued: https://sources.debian.org/patches/openvpn/2.5.1-3/

Although I didn't find release notes for the patch I did find this article which lists the CVEs the latest patch fixes: https://www.linuxexperten.com/news/debian-11-linux-lmde5-kernel-update-5101361

Incidentally, going back to I think your original post, I generally select servers manually but it's nice having the option to let Eddie choose.

Thanks for your help. But I can't investigate more because i don't know what to do. It's a little bit weird that only few servers takes a lot of time to check but not all. Is that servers could be different than others ?

I use eddie to automatically connect my computers to a vpn each time I boot them. So manually select a server after eddie checks 200 but not 220 servers is a little bit annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, OWild said:

Thanks for your help. But I can't investigate more because i don't know what to do. It's a little bit weird that only few servers takes a lot of time to check but not all. Is that servers could be different than others ?

I use eddie to automatically connect my computers to a vpn each time I boot them. So manually select a server after eddie checks 200 but not 220 servers is a little bit annoying.
Ahh. Okay. I don't use automatic because it causes problems with the current and previous version of Eddie client on my Linux machines. 
In my case it looks like Eddie is trying to find a sensible latency but can't because they are misreported as three figures e.g. 300ms rather than say 50ms.

image.png.7b704572918374f6dab3962dddb6ae75.png

I didn't have patience to wait as I can look at the server usage and make a choice based on whether it is active but not too busy. I completely ignore the latency column while it is misreporting.


image.png.8908c12181ec07c7f460d83b5f8e9b37.png

What I don't know is whether this is due to the way Eddie installs on Mint, maybe with some legacy software components. 
Staff have been unable to replicate the problem. I think they use virtual machines so it's a completely clean build every time.
I'm not ready to do a fresh build of either physical machine at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted ... (edited)

I have the same problem (stuck at "13 to go" latency test) since I updated to Ubuntu 22.04.1.
Will try to remove and reinstall Eddie.

Reinstall didn't work.

SOLUTION:
i used this method "renew device keys"  https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/53004-openssl-error-restart-every-3-seconds/?do=findComment&comment=187787
and my latency problem is gone.
(wait 1 minute before testing new keys for the update to work. I tested mine right after and it was too fast, second time, 1 minute later, worked perfect).

Edited ... by CheckIt

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/8/2022 at 11:14 AM, EclecticFish said:
Ahh. Okay. I don't use automatic because it causes problems with the current and previous version of Eddie client on my Linux machines. 
In my case it looks like Eddie is trying to find a sensible latency but can't because they are misreported as three figures e.g. 300ms rather than say 50ms.

image.png.7b704572918374f6dab3962dddb6ae75.png

I didn't have patience to wait as I can look at the server usage and make a choice based on whether it is active but not too busy. I completely ignore the latency column while it is misreporting.


image.png.8908c12181ec07c7f460d83b5f8e9b37.png

What I don't know is whether this is due to the way Eddie installs on Mint, maybe with some legacy software components. 
Staff have been unable to replicate the problem. I think they use virtual machines so it's a completely clean build every time.
I'm not ready to do a fresh build of either physical machine at the moment.

So maybe a lot of people could have the same issue but not report it because they don't use the automatic connection.

 

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, CheckIt said:

I have the same problem (stuck at "13 to go" latency test) since I updated to Ubuntu 22.04.1.
Will try to remove and reinstall Eddie.

Reinstall didn't work.

SOLUTION:
i used this method "renew device keys"  https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/53004-openssl-error-restart-every-3-seconds/?do=findComment&comment=187787
and my latency problem is gone.
(wait 1 minute before testing new keys for the update to work. I tested mine right after and it was too fast, second time, 1 minute later, worked perfect).


Thanks for the tips, but it doesn't work for me.
I try to renew two times, let a lot of time between test, login/logout, restart eddie and reboot the computer. But have still the issue...
 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/14/2022 at 1:57 PM, OWild said:

Should I contact the support ?

Probably a good idea. It's quiet on this thread, so they probably aren't watching it.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/9/2022 at 10:51 AM, OWild said:

So maybe a lot of people could have the same issue but not report it because they don't use the automatic connection.

 
If it was an issue that obviously affected them they might report it. Hard to know how many use auto and how many use manual. If the priority is choosing a particular country they may be using manual, otherwise I would expect the "normal" user to use auto.
 

Share this post


Link to post

Answer of the support :
 

Bug confirmed, it is now under the attention of the developer (a fix has been already proposed).


So wait an see...

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Security Check
    Play CAPTCHA Audio
    Refresh Image

×
×
  • Create New...