Not connected, Your IP: 3.128.94.171
Sign in to follow this  
jdubau55

Slow speeds

I just got my setup working this morning. Setup is modem>non-vpn router>vpn router

Using the wifi on the non-vpn router nets me what I should get 12-13 mbps.

Using wifi on the VPN router is around 4 mbps. I know that falls into the bare minimum allocated but the servers I am connecting to have very little activity on them and I should be getting much better speeds. I am setup using TCP as my router won't connect using UDP.

I just got my setup working this morning. Setup is modem>non-vpn router>vpn router

Using the wifi on the non-vpn router nets me what I should get 12-13 mbps.

Using wifi on the VPN router is around 4 mbps. I know that falls into the bare minimum allocated but the servers I am connecting to have very little activity on them and I should be getting much better speeds. I am setup using TCP as my router won't connect using UDP.

Hello!

Can you please try a direct VPN connection with your computer, both toward TCP and UDP ports? It's likely that you have some bottleneck on your routers. Also, please consider that most DD-WRT routers don't have the CPU power to support an higher than 7-8 Mbit/s AES-256 encrypted throughput.

Kind regards

Thanks. I will try a desktop client to compare. I would be happy with a 8 mbps speed. It might just be something I have to deal with. Would the fact that I am using TCP instead of UDP slow it down?

Thanks. I will try a desktop client to compare. I would be happy with a 8 mbps speed. It might just be something I have to deal with. Would the fact that I am using TCP instead of UDP slow it down?

Hello!

Yes, TCP has a full error correction and therefore you have a slight overhead which results in slower performance. If there's high packet loss or fragmentation, TCP may be able to let you connect anyway (while UDP might be unable to do that) at the price of performance. You should check the logs during an UDP connection in order to see whether you have packet loss or fragmentation (fragmentation is not so rare on WiFi connections).

Kind regards