Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.244.153
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

Problem on backend servers (05.09 UTC - 06:12 UTC)

We have had a major problem on backend servers between 05.09 UTC and 06:12 UTC. We're investigating.

We apologize.

Kind regards

Yea, I sent you an email the moment it happened to me, tried login but error appeared '502 Bad gateway...'

So will all affected by this, be compensated additional hours to our accounts?

Your frontend server was also down for quite a while prior to that, giving a "(502) Gateway Timeout" error starting at approximately 2:15 UTC... which persisted for 3 hours. The "Could not connect to SQL database" and "Too many connections" errors didn't start occurring until the 4th hour of downtime.

My question is, if this problem was isolated to the AirVPN authentication server only, why did all (or nearly all) of the already-existing VPN connections get dropped as well? It seems like an unacceptable flaw in the system if a single point of failure can essentially cause the entire server network to go down.

I am hoping there can be a solution to this going forward, as long as it can be done without compromising security of course. One solution might be setting up a mirror/backup site of both airvpn.org and the backend database on a different server altogether. That way at least there's a plan "B" in case one or the other goes down. Thoughts?

My question is, if this problem was isolated to the AirVPN authentication server only, why did all (or nearly all) of the already-existing VPN connections get dropped as well?

Hello!

They didn't, BUT the server monitor could not show the correct stats. Additionally, new client connections could not be authorized. This problem was already solved in the past. We will let you know whether this has been a new type of incident, in which case we'll take the necessary steps to avoid its recurrence.

Kind regards

Yea, I sent you an email the moment it happened to me, tried login but error appeared '502 Bad gateway...'

So will all affected by this, be compensated additional hours to our accounts?

Hello!

Yes, definitely. Currently our 2012 downtimes have reached almost 2 hours and 30 minutes (which is anyway fairly good), which are included in our 24 hours grace period. A downtime is considered when a client can't access any VPN server.

Kind regards

Yep I went through that as well..but I am glad its all good and working now..dont need any grace period or anything..the service and security you provide for the nominal cost is something i am grateful to you for, and a few hours or a day or two of outage, once in a rare while, is totally acceptable. thank you very much for everything you do!

Letsbfree, are you working for airvpn?

Hello!

No, he/she isn't. You can recognize in the forum messages written by those working for AirVPN because their account is marked in red and (apart from "admin") they sign as "AirVPN" or use the "admin" account.

Kind regards