Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.216.229
Sign in to follow this  
Wave_Rider

ANSWERED Cannot load config file in OpenVPN on Android 11

Posted ... (edited)

Hi all,

After a long hiatus I'm about to start using AirVPN again, or at least was planning to - for some odd reason I'm unable to load/import the config files from airvpn.org/generator into OpenVPN.

Strangely enough, when I want to import the config files using the stock Android file manager, all files are greyed out/not selectable. Using an alternative file manager (ie Total Commander) allows me to select the config file, however it results in a "error reading config file" message in the import log, see screenshot. When googling the issue I can't seem to find anything, suggesting I'm making a very basic mistake somewhere along the lines...? I have a gut feeling it's got something to do with permissions: OpenVPN is allowed to "read media files only", and there is no option to make it read "All files" like the file managers. But surely other people would have had this issue if that's the reason?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fairphone 3
OpenVPN 0.7.37 (latest version from F-Droid)
FairphoneOS (no root)
Android 11 (8901.4.A.0010 - update came through a couple of days ago)

Cheers,
Wave_Rider

Screenshot_20220523-222157.png

Edited ... by Wave_Rider

@Wave_Rider

Hello!

It looks like your system downloaded the whole HTML page in place of the actual ovpn generated file. Which browser did you run? Can you please test Chrome and Firefox?

Alternatively, run Eddie Android edition. It is fully integrated with AirVPN so you can get rid of configuration files.
https://airvpn.org/android/

Kind regards

Posted ... (edited)

It was exactly that - I wouldn't even have considered this, thank you so much! Works like a charm now that I've downloaded the config file with Chrome instead.

I'm using a Firefox fork for Android called "Firefox Klar" - just in case someone else experiences the same issue.

Edited ... by Wave_Rider