Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.181.21
Sign in to follow this  
piercestevens

Comodo Firewall Settings

Many thanks to Admin for your swift response and to others input. Unfortunately my trial ends shortly and my inability to fully grasp the procedure to prevent leaks via comodo means that I cannnot purchase AirVPN. Great,great shame as it appears to be the best one out there,but if an "average" user is unable to configure Comodo in such a way as to prevent leaks then it is worthless to that user.

I must agree with this comment.

Comodo config could be easy, but the explanation available is way too complicated. It lacks clarity and simply a "do to" list step by step (you know "click here ; "then here" ....Etc).

It is not harder to write a clear tutorial for new users.

Considering the rising popularity of vpn among end users (understand beginners), a good tutorial is something that will have to be written at some point.

If not, these people will simply go somewhere else.

You have created a great vpn service, spending an hour or so in writing a noob tutorial will make people like piercestevens and me stick with you guys.

Hello!

Probably you have not followed step 1. Guides and tutorials are already available. We have now added two links in our guide (see them in step 1) which point to official Comodo Help tutorials. They should take you just a couple of minutes each.

There are approximately 368000 tutorials (including dozens of videos) on Comodo firewall currently available on the web. Probably just another tutorial would have the same significance of a tutorial on how to perform copy and paste on a computer.

We are confident on the intelligence of our customers and users and we'll never treat them like idiots. In the fields of security and privacy it's definitely better to push someone into studying 5 minutes more than giving pre-packaged solutions which may be dangerous and give a false sense of security. If this approach is not appreciated (but at this point we can safely say quite the opposite), then the HMA and other VPNs disasters have taught nothing.

Kind regards

I'll have to agree with the admins on this point.

It is a real pain in the a## to take the time and read comodo's help guide and understand the rules given by admins, but they are very reactive and helpful on answering n00b questions.

I've been through and it's worth it, you won't find anywhere else such high quality support that set the standards above what I expected and I do now understand a LOT more on my VPN security even though it is still a bit tough to make things work perfectly in conjuction with the VPN.

Hi pierce,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Even though I'm a big fan of the admin as I think s/he is one of the most knowledge of VPN tech guys out there, I'm 100% agree to you on that.

I also think the instructions must be quite daunting and difficult for newbies and even average users to follow.

If you are not familiar with Comodo Firewall, I don't think many of you understand what a comment like "Block And Log IP In/Out From MAC Any To MAC Any Where Protocol Is Any" means and I think they will have a hard time configuring it as the comment says.

Hi Admin,

> It is opinion of this admin that a pre-configured .cfgx Comodo file containing global rules meant to prevent any leak represents a security risk for our customers.

I'm not sure about what you're saying here.

I suggest you publish a template .cfgx file to configure Comodo as described in the instructions, with using the values there.

So, if it would be a security risk, then so should be the instructions?

Adding screenshots to it sounds great. A video tutoral would be perfect.

But, I realized you must be quite busy with responding to posts here.

That is why I suggested you publish such a .cfgx file.

Then, all users need to do is export the file and change some numbers to user-specific ones.

I think that such a number is only an IP address of their network adapter for AirVPN users.

P.S. to Admin:

I've created the template .cfgx file, following the instructions, attached to this post.

Please remove it if it is indeed a security risk.

If not, please proof read it as I created it in a rush, which took me less than 10 minutes, and I haven't tested it since I'm not an AirVPN user.

As for the values of "entry-IP address of the VPN servers", I took those numbers from here(https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=4168&Itemid=142#4168)

- malta

Hi,

Finally I did it. Comodo ok and no DNS leaks. On my own like a big boy..

Have I learned something ? Yes.

Am I satisfied with the security now ? Yes.

But still... I've built websites, worked a lot on VMs, and many other things, and I guess I'm just curious about it and geeky. So I am not a total noob.

I am glad the answer to these two questions is "yes".

The problem is: When someone try out a vpn service, he CAN be a total noob (and you know you will see more and more if not already), and even if he's not stupid, it will definitely take him more than 5 10 or even 60 minutes to configure Comodo. Not funny for everyone you know that.

Sure he's going to learn the hard way, and it's usually the best way. Hell, I've installed my first linux system without any knowledge, and I did it from scratch with Gentoo (my girlfriend dumped me because of that for sure).

But many (and more to come right?) don't want to work. They don't want to learn, understand or anything. The only thing they want is an excellent vpn provider for 5€ a month with a software that says "your are connected" - "you are a badass" in only two minutes.

Many will go somewhere else if they don't get what I just said.

But I do like the admin position, because that's the way I learned everything. And it works and it bloody feels good.

What is also possible is that people here don't realize the level of difficulty that it can represent to some people.

My brother is a self taught engineer in network and stuff. But if my mother has an issue with her computer, she'd never call him. EVER. She'd call me instead. I don't have half of his knowledge, but the thing is as my mother says, she cannot understand what he says/writes. Funny thing is, he actually don't understand why she doesn't understand. Why ? Because it's crystal clear to him and easy. But he just doesn't know how to explain it so my mother can get it. Five minutes with a beginner like me, and the problem is solved. One happy mum in the bank.

Maybe some kind of happy medium can be found here. How about I write this tutorial again ? In French too ? The noob way but not so noob They will have to work no worries :evil: