Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.122.4
Sign in to follow this  
Saken

New user-need help, DNS leaks, secure Vipre,

HI! I just started using AirVPN. My main reason is for torrenting without care. So here are a few of my questions. In advance thanks for answering some of my noob questions

1. Is one torrent program more secure or better than another? such as utorrent, azurerus etc. I'm assuming it doesn't matter since I'm anonymous while using a vpn anyway. But I would like to hear some peoples preferences.

2. Is using something like peer block even necessary? I was thinking it might help keep some unwanted IP's away.

3. So, I was looking at the Windows 7/comodo DNS leaks sticky on the forums. To be honest its a little hard to follow. My MAIN concern is security/privacy before I start torrenting again. I reed some stuff about DNS leaks and how not knowing how to secure your connection can making using a VPN essentially useless if it has leaks and is not secure.

I don't use comodo, I'm using windows firewalll and a firewall/antivirus called VIPRE. So I need some step by step tips to secure my VPN with vipre. And something like a check list of things I can look at to make sure my connection is secure and leak free.

And if I cant find out how to fix any DNS leaks with vipre should I download and use comodo??

4. Lastly, speed problems. Is it possible that AirVPN will get a server in Asia? Right now I live in Japan and will be for years to come. I'm sure you guys will get a lot more customers from Japan and Australia. The best ping I can get is from the Arietis Server in Arizona. Its around 270ms. I tried the speed test from the AirVPN website but it doesn't work. It keeps saying page not found. I did a speed test on speedtest.net and I'm only getting 1.25mbs down. I know AirVPN says it should be a minimum of 4mbs. So I was curious about testing my speed while gaming. I obviously don't need to use a VPN for gaming but i checked it anyways. In Diablo 3, I get about the same ping as I was getting before which was 150ms which is impressive. But I noticed about every 5-10 mins I spike really bad up to 400-500ms for about 20-30 seconds which I thought might indicate a problem with my connection??

Thanks guys,

HI! I just started using AirVPN. My main reason is for torrenting without care. So here are a few of my questions. In advance thanks for answering some of my noob questions :)

1. Is one torrent program more secure or better than another? such as utorrent, azurerus etc. I'm assuming it doesn't matter since I'm anonymous while using a vpn anyway. But I would like to hear some peoples preferences.

Hello!

You can use any of your favorite torrent clients.

2. Is using something like peer block even necessary? I was thinking it might help keep some unwanted IP's away.

It's not necessary. It may be a courtesy to us as it might help us receive less bogus copyright infringement notices. However PeerBlock efficiency is so low that it does not really make a significant difference. Also, please be aware that some PeerBlock blocklists are so badly written that they will block some of our servers as well.

3. So, I was looking at the Windows 7/comodo DNS leaks sticky on the forums. To be honest its a little hard to follow. My MAIN concern is security/privacy before I start torrenting again. I reed some stuff about DNS leaks and how not knowing how to secure your connection can making using a VPN essentially useless if it has leaks and is not secure.

I don't use comodo, I'm using windows firewalll and a firewall/antivirus called VIPRE. So I need some step by step tips to secure my VPN with vipre. And something like a check list of things I can look at to make sure my connection is secure and leak free.

And if I cant find out how to fix any DNS leaks with vipre should I download and use comodo??

First of all, you must never use two firewalls simultaneously. They will interfere with each other with unpredictable outcomes. DNS leaks are not a concern when you do p2p. The real concern is preventing your real IP leak in case of unexpected VPN disconnection. We would recommend you to get rid of any firewall and install Comodo firewall (the free version is just fine), OR to translate the Comodo rules for your favorite firewall (please be aware that it's not possible to do that fully with the Windows firewall). With the recommended Comodo rules you will prevent not only DNS leak, but any leak.

4. Lastly, speed problems. Is it possible that AirVPN will get a server in Asia? Right now I live in Japan and will be for years to come. I'm sure you guys will get a lot more customers from Japan and Australia. The best ping I can get is from the Arietis Server in Arizona. Its around 270ms. I tried the speed test from the AirVPN website but it doesn't work. It keeps saying page not found. I did a speed test on speedtest.net and I'm only getting 1.25mbs down. I know AirVPN says it should be a minimum of 4mbs. So I was curious about testing my speed while gaming. I obviously don't need to use a VPN for gaming but i checked it anyways. In Diablo 3, I get about the same ping as I was getting before which was 150ms which is impressive. But I noticed about every 5-10 mins I spike really bad up to 400-500ms for about 20-30 seconds which I thought might indicate a problem with my connection??

Variable latency is normal on the Internet. The best approximation you can obtain with short-time speed tests is with speedtest.air, because the test is performed internally, inside the Air server you're connected to, without relying on another server.

Unfortunately we are still unable to find an Asian provider which complies with our requirements about security, privacy, peering, bandwidth and traffic. All these factors together, in addition to privacy legal frameworks, represent a hard selection which cuts out a lot of providers (privacy-hostile legal frameworks force us to discard whole countries in Asia). We are not willing to sacrifice privacy and security for better marketing. Our research anyway is ongoing.

Kind regards

So in comodo under firewall behavior settings

>General- I set it to custom policy, everything is checked except ip6 filtering.

Firewall behavior settings>General>Advanced> Which ones do I check?

Stealth ports wizard>Define new trusted network> I put in the ip range 10.4.0.0 - 10.9.255.255.

Stealth ports wizard>Block all incoming connections> I clicked it / Is this doing the same as step 6? on the windows/comodo sticky

As for step 7-8 When the popup message comes up for AirVPN i set this to trusted application. Does this do the same thing as steps 7-8?

Stealth ports wizard>Define new trusted network> For step 9 I clicked "i would like to define trusted network",set this ip range (127.0.0.1 - 127.255.255.254)

I believe steps 8-10 was automatically done when I ran the AirVPN application while comodo was open. It asked me several times to allow or block and I set it to trusted app so does this do the same thing?

Thanks a bunch

So in comodo under firewall behavior settings

>General- I set it to custom policy, everything is checked except ip6 filtering.

Firewall behavior settings>General>Advanced> Which ones do I check?

Hello!

Please see step 3: set it to "Custom Policy".

Stealth ports wizard>Define new trusted network> I put in the ip range 10.4.0.0 - 10.9.255.255.

Correct.

Stealth ports wizard>Block all incoming connections> I clicked it / Is this doing the same as step 6? on the windows/comodo sticky

Unfortunately not: you should not block all incoming connections if you wish to use our remote port forwarding system. You need remote port forwarding only if you want some service (a web server, a p2p client etc.) to be reachable from the Internet behind our VPN servers. Please see also here: https://airvpn.org/faq

As for step 7-8 When the popup message comes up for AirVPN i set this to trusted application. Does this do the same thing as steps 7-8?

Stealth ports wizard>Define new trusted network> For step 9 I clicked "i would like to define trusted network",set this ip range (127.0.0.1 - 127.255.255.254)

I believe steps 8-10 was automatically done when I ran the AirVPN application while comodo was open. It asked me several times to allow or block and I set it to trusted app so does this do the same thing?

This will define the firewall behavior on an application basis. Nothing wrong, but it will not secure your connection against leaks in case of unexpected VPN disconnection: you will have to set the global rules anyway.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any additional support.

Kind regards