Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.23.133
bookth

ANSWERED Cannot Use Internet Unless Connected to VPN

Hey - I'm really hoping you guys can help me.

I'm using AirVPN on a MAC - works great so far, very happy with it - but have noticed that I can no longer connect to the internet AT ALL unless I'm using the VPN. This seems a little extreme to me, and likely a bug.

I cannot put into words how hopeless I am with these kinds of things - I've looked at some previous posts of people with the same problem. Most seem to be Windows users (no use to me) and the language goes right over my head. 

Does anyone think they can help? I'd be sad to change VPNS or give them up altogether, but I don't like the idea of it not allowing me to use the internet without it. 

@bookth

Hello!

That's actually unexpected. First thing to check is DNS settings. Make sure that publicly accessible DNS servers are set in your Mac, while Air software is not running. Did it happen while you were running Eddie or Hummingbird?

Kind regards

Hmmmmm, I am running Eddie and the exact same thing just started happening to me. I am running 2.18.9 of Eddie and the latest update of Catalina. I was running older yesterday when I first noted the problem and updated both to see if it would help. It didn't. Was the problem solved but the solution above? And I am not sure I understand it anyhow. How do I set publicly accessible DNS servers in my Mac? Sorry for being not too smart.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:35 AM, Staff said:
@bookth

Hello!

That's actually unexpected. First thing to check is DNS settings. Make sure that publicly accessible DNS servers are set in your Mac, while Air software is not running. Did it happen while you were running Eddie or Hummingbird?

Kind regards

so I’ve accessed my DNS settings but can’t see anything about making them publically accessible? 

this is becoming a real problem for me as my computer can no longer pick up WiFi when I’m away from home...

Posted ... (edited)

Thanks for your response. Following that link takes me to a page explaining how to access my DNS settings - but I'm not sure what I should be changing? For example, two DNS servers are listed. Should I just remove them both? There is nothing there that suggests how I'd make them publicly accessible (to my eyes).

Edit to add: I've just checked my partner's Mac settings (she's never used VPN and her connection is fine). I've matched my network settings exactly to hers, removing one DNS server that wasn't present on her computer. Sadly no change...

Edited ... by bookth

You should probably read Staff's first reply again, and more carefully. You are not supposed to make anything publically accessible, but enter IP addresses of DNS server that are themselves publically accessible, so that you as a member of that public can access them and get DNS to work again.
For example: Cloudflare DNS would be publically accessible. Anyone can enter 1.1.1.1 in there and DNS would work. In contrast, AirDNS is not publically accessible, because not everyone can simply enter 10.4.0.1 and have a working DNS server: You need to be connected to AirVPN. And that is what Staff writes about.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thank you Giganerd! (And apologies for misunderstanding the original post).

I've just added the suggested 1.1.1.1 DNS while AirVPN was disconnected and I am now able to access the internet while not using the VPN. Very grateful for everyone's patience. 

hmmmmm, that solved the problem, but luckily i had saved the old DNS addresses in a text file, because i had to reneter them to get Eddie working again. A friend says i should install it all on a virtual UBUNTU machine so that Eddie is only running on there, and my regular internet access will work as well. I am goign to look into that. Thanks for the suggestions, wish there was another way.

The thing is that you usually don't need to set them in the first place. Your router sends its own to all the clients connecting to the network, but Eddie sometimes messes up DNS settings. The real solution would be to let them be set automatically/via DHCP again.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.