Not connected, Your IP: 54.196.27.171
CLusmi

ANSWERED When FRANCE servers are comming ?

Hello world !

I would like to know if AirVPN add servers in FRANCE in the near future.
I think it would be interesting to add servers in view of the good French network.
And many AirVPN users wait impatiently for these servers ...

Thanks for reading me :)

Posted ... (edited)
And as far as I know the legal framework didn't change. There is a French rerouting server, though, which can be used to view French TV and VoD services while connected to any other server. If you only want to do that, open a ticket and kindly ask to reroute content from whatever service you want to unblock.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:42 PM, CLusmi said:

And many AirVPN users wait impatiently for these servers ...

Do they, now? Who are they? Do they know you? And do you have the authority to speak for them?
Don't make claims you can't support. Edited ... by OpenSourcerer
Link rot

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

One thing i do not understand:

How does the legal framework matter? If all servers are controlled remotely by AIR and are fully encrypted, how could any traffic be logged?

Under these premises, does it matter where the server is located?

Regards,

BB.

AMD Ryzen 3950X @ 105W PPL

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

AMD RX 5700 XT

Corsair DDR4-3200 32GB

1 hour ago, BlueBanana said:

If all servers are controlled remotely by AIR and are fully encrypted, how could any traffic be logged?

While the traffic between your endpoint and the server is encrypted, the traffic between the server and your destination is not. That traffic must somehow leave the datacenter as well, so theoretically it's still possible for a datacenter operator to keep records of connections, transferred bytes, duration, maybe even the rough destination, etc. this way. A less friendly legal framework compels the operator to do that, while a more friendly one gives some freedom of choice in this regard. Of course this won't allow the datacenter to match some traffic to a certain user.

Under this premise choice of location does matter, despite the no-log tag of the VPN provider.

Posted ... (edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 7:10 PM, giganerd said:
And as far as I know the legal framework didn't change. There is a French rerouting server, though, which can be used to view French TV and VoD services while connected to any other server. If you only want to do that, open a ticket and kindly ask to reroute content from whatever service you want to unblock.

Do they, now? Who are they? Do they know you? And do you have the authority to speak for them?
Don't make claims you can't support.

Thanks for these informations.
I misspoke, I just guess some users might be interested ...
Edited ... by OpenSourcerer
Link rot

3 hours ago, giganerd said:

While the traffic between your endpoint and the server is encrypted, the traffic between the server and your destination is not. That traffic must somehow leave the datacenter as well, so theoretically it's still possible for a datacenter operator to keep records of connections, transferred bytes, duration, maybe even the rough destination, etc. this way.
Wouldn´t that apply to any country with mandatory data retention for ISPs? For example, UK, Estonia, Sweden etc.
As long as the logging is passive, it doesn´t really matter whether it is done by the upstream provider or the datacenter. Am I wrong?

@HannaForest

About countries in the EU, any mandatory data indiscriminate retention framework is illegal according to two different CJEU decisions, so any attempt to enforce it or incrimination for having failed to enforce it can be easily challenged up to the highest court.

About UK, the legal framework does not seem to enforce mandatory data retention to datacenters, but as soon as UK will get out of the EU we will re-check the situation with the help of lawyers.

About France, the difference is that data retention seems mandatory for "hosting providers" (sic), so datacenters might start logging metadata without our knowledge. We will study again and re-consider in the next months anyway.

Kind regards

15 hours ago, Staff said:
About countries in the EU, any mandatory data indiscriminate retention framework is illegal according to two different CJEU decisions, so any attempt to enforce it or incrimination for having failed to enforce it can be easily challenged up to the highest court.
True. Sadly, there are still countries in the EU that do enforce mandatory data retention for ISPs despite the CJEU rulings, thereby violating EU law and fundamental rights. You are of course well aware of the situation in Italy. Other countries are, as per my knowledge, Sweden, Estonia, UK, and others. While those practices have not yet been challenged up to the highest national courts, we should keep that in mind.
That said, one of the main use cases of  VPNs is to defend against data retention.

I was rather pondering about why metadata logging done by datacenters is more dangerous than by ISPs. But I assume that live correlation attacks are easier for DCs than for ISPs.

@HannaForest

Hello!

It's not less or more dangerous, it's just that data retention that's mandatory for residential ISPs is not a matter which affects our service, while data retention mandatory for datacenters is.

Kind regards

Hello, I have a question about internet access in France.
The post mentions a rerouting server, but the link doesn't work. Is it possible to watch certain programs in France or to access banks in France from abroad for example without an AirVPN server in France?
Thank you

1 hour ago, lesnumeriques said:

The post mentions a rerouting server, but the link doesn't work. Is it possible to watch certain programs in France or to access banks in France from abroad for example without an AirVPN server in France?

True, links to rerouting servers don't work any longer, but the servers are still there.
It's possible to access some French TV providers, refer to the Website support forum for more info. Banking is not the targeted use case for the rerouting feature, so bank access is not included.