Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.211.66
wuffles

Replacing Asus RT-AC56U (UK user)

Hi,

Finding my VPN speed being crippled to around 15Mbps, which was fine when our actual broadband speed was less than that, however, recent fibre upgrade has put us into the 250Mbps territory. When tested directly through OpenVPN I'm able to get around 100+Mbps using the same settings as the router, so I'm guessing it's a CPU issue within the Asus. According to Tomato it's a dual core ARM 800mhz, which seems fairly quick compared to what else is around - would a 2nd hand Netgear R7000 be that much of an improvement?

What do people suggest. Bear in mind, I'm UK based, so model numbers might be different, and I'll be putting Advanced Tomato on whatever I end up with.

Cheers.

Answering my own question, and after lots of reading up on vpn performance, I'm going to go for the ASUS RT-AC86U - if anyone is remotely interested I'll post results up here once I've got Merlins firmware on it.

Thanks for reading.

Got it all installed today, not tried selective routing and am just pushing everything through the VPN currently - seems to be rocking around 140Mbps up and down, which is likely a limitation of my wireless speed. So, if you might be asking the same questions as I am...go for the Asus like I did. It's definitely an upgrade in my situation.

Here you go. I paid about £155 through Amazon in the UK, installing the custom Merlin's firmware wasn't anything like as a terrifying as my last Asus. Seems Asus have embraced the whole OpenWRT thing and are well up for some modification.

Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 21.02.35.png

This is really nice to see.  Acceptable speed from a consumer device with firmware that is powerful but easy to use.  Thanks for posting.

I'm on 40mbit Fibre and get full speed with an "old" RT-AC66U but when I switch VPN on this drops to around 13mps. Is there really such a big difference between mine and the 86U or is mine running way slower than it can?

Basically I'd be happy with 40mbit thorugh VPN if my 66U is capable, if not I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade.

It’s all down to processing power inside the router. The 66 has a similar processor to the 56 I replaced, so those numbers sound about right to me.