Not connected, Your IP: 3.209.81.51

Posted ... (edited)

I use AirVPN for many years and super happy about it.
On iOS I used the official openvpn app but recently discovered an alternative: passepartout
(Edit: since it's a commercial app, not sure it's ok to paste here but here is the link
https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/passepartout-openvpn-client/id1433648537?l=en)

So far it has great features but I'm not sure if it's really secure or impacting Air's features in any way.

Does anyone use it or have some info about it? Thanks!!

Edited ... by FBSair007653

8 hours ago, zhang888 said:

This is adware junk, use OpenVPN directly.

Thank you for your reply. That bad? The reviews I saw were pretty positive, can you explain a bit please?

Standard negative stance on anything that costs, I reckon. I don't see many negatives there. It certainly is not negative if it does things better than the official app, which gave a few users around here quite some pain in the past. :)
I don't see an option to stop all traffic when the VPN connection drops, though. Something to consider if you want this.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I’ve been using it for about 6 months now. I’m really happy with the app’s robust functionality and what the app builder has to say. You can make parameter changes as well. I’ve not had any issues and the app has always engaged the VPN on WiFi connect. The app is free—just asks for donations. I also have to say I’m excited to have another option to OpenVPN. 

2 hours ago, clf said:

I also have to say I’m excited to have another option to OpenVPN

I should give it a try as well..

I'm the author of Passepartout and "adware junk" made me sincerely smile.

The app recently went from free to paid because it's how I cover a (very) minor fraction of the costs. Not to mention the time I invest(ed) on it, which is far beyond the little money I get from the app. Also, Passepartout has been free as long as I haven't deemed it stable enough to ask people to pay for it. For one, the reviews are 100% legit.

It's a strange world where one's guilt is being paid for his hard work.

Anyway, I believe that AirVPN users would love an integration with Passepartout.

How the hell are you guys even finding the posts about your own software on off-topic forums like this one? First ViewDNS, and now you...

18 hours ago, keeshux said:

The app recently went from free to paid because it's how I cover a (very) minor fraction of the costs.

It's quite a difficult thing to code for iOS, given that you need to pay to be able to be found on the store.. seems cruel. And then the users mostly need to pay for the apps, because if not, they often pay with their data. Maybe that's all what was needed for Mr. zhang888 to judge your app. A price tag does of course not mean you won't additionally pay with your data. But as I said, it looks promising. :)

19 hours ago, keeshux said:

Anyway, I believe that AirVPN users would love an integration with Passepartout. 

It's your decision in which direction you want your app to go. :) I'm sure some users would find it advantageous.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, keeshux said:

I'm the author of Passepartout and "adware junk" made me sincerely smile.

The app recently went from free to paid because it's how I cover a (very) minor fraction of the costs. Not to mention the time I invest(ed) on it, which is far beyond the little money I get from the app. Also, Passepartout has been free as long as I haven't deemed it stable enough to ask people to pay for it. For one, the reviews are 100% legit.

It's a strange world where one's guilt is being paid for his hard work.

I would ignore his comment. He likely made that judgement without ever even seeing or using your app. Keep up the great work!

Also, I know several iOS users would be very happy to have AirVPN integration into your app. It would be great to be able to simply login into AirVPN on Passepartout and then simply select a server from the list and connect to it. Because right now we iOS users have to go to the profile generator, select the server and config they want, download the profile and then finally add the new profile each time we want to connect to a new server we haven't setup before on iOS.

Thank you all for your comments and for the author for being so engaged in the community.
This is a really nice app and an AirVPN integration would indeed be great! The Killswitch function is definitely a plus but Passepartout offers a lot of great features.
Anyway more options is always a good thing!

I'm willing to add AirVPN to Passepartout providers.

Mods please get in touch on providers@passepartoutvpn.app if you're interested in the integration.

Cheers

Again, it's your decision. You are the coder. If you are willing, contact a mod yourself to work out the technical details you need. :)

1 minute ago, giganerd said:

Again, it's your decision. You are the coder. If you are willing, contact a mod yourself to work out the technical details you need. :)

Sure, are you eligible for that? 😁

what's new about passepartout ?
Security considerations are preeminent and it's the most important thing  
Will Airvpn work with this application (which is really promising) ...or not  ? 
thank you for your reply 

On 10/1/2019 at 7:06 PM, jean claud said:

Will Airvpn work with this application (which is really promising) ...or not  ?

It won't in the near future.
The developer wanted to add AirVPN to the supported providers as a courtesy, and "if it took him a day". Seeing as there is no easy way of using AirVPN with third-party clients wanting to use the forum login instead of being based on certificates he decided to get back to his roadmap. He was not particularly keen about all the work he had to do to get it working via login.

He also made it clear that money won't add it, either. :D Ergo, no AirVPN support for now. You can still use certs, though.

18 hours ago, giganerd said:

It won't in the near future.
The developer wanted to add AirVPN to the supported providers as a courtesy, and "if it took him a day". Seeing as there is no easy way of using AirVPN with third-party clients wanting to use the forum login instead of being based on certificates he decided to get back to his roadmap. He was not particularly keen about all the work he had to do to get it working via login.

He also made it clear that money won't add it, either. :D Ergo, no AirVPN support for now. You can still use certs, though.

The developer of qomui was able to add AirVPN where only a username and password is needed.

1 hour ago, go558a83nk said:

The developer of qomui was able to add AirVPN where only a username and password is needed.

Yes, and I contacted him about it. He explained to me what he did and I relayed that info to Mr. keeshux, who promptly answered it was too complicated. :)
He had no obligation to add AirVPN support, anyway, so no one can blame him.