Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.98.108
Sign in to follow this  
treelessness

Bridged mode (dev tap)

Hi Guys,

First of all AirVPN is great - value for money and quick!

I'd like to know how to get my connection running in Tap or Bridged mode. My household has a server which I use as a PPTP server for everyone else to connect to. Id like that server to connect to AirVPN. However when i connect to AirVPN the pptp connection no longer allows internet access. Ive heard i need my OpenVPN connection to be in bridged or tap mode. When i change the Dev Tun line to Dev Tap - I get the following:

Fri Sep 14 20:24:17 2012 WARNING: Since you are using --dev tap, the second argument to --ifconfig must be a netmask, for example something like 255.255.255.0. (silence this warning with --ifconfig-nowarn)

Fri Sep 14 20:24:17 2012 OpenVPN ROUTE: OpenVPN needs a gateway parameter for a --route option and no default was specified by either --route-gateway or --ifconfig options

Fri Sep 14 20:24:17 2012 OpenVPN ROUTE: failed to parse/resolve route for host/network: 10.4.0.1

Hello!

We're sorry, we use OpenVPN in "routing mode". The adapter, both on the server and client side, must be a TUN interface operating on layer 3, not a tap adapter handling layer 2 packets. If you use OpenVPN in bridged mode, you can't connect to Air servers.

That said, it remains to be seen whether what you want achieve is possible with PPTP. Your household machine should act simultaneously as a PPTP server and OpenVPN client. Unfortunately we are not able to give you support on this and we can't say for sure if it's possible or not.

However, it is definitely possible (at least on Linux) to run multiple OpenVPN instances, each running either in server or client mode, with an arbitrary number of tun interfaces, and it is also definitely possible to use a Linux box as a simultaneous OpenVPN server for its clients and an OpenVPN client for the Air servers. It is possible to do that even with just one physical network card. You will need to modify the routes pushed by our servers to your OpenVPN client, enable IP forwarding and set an appropriate routing table which allows packets routing and NATting between OpenVPN server and client. The setup requires a fairly good knowledge in networking, anyway you can be sure 100% it's possible (with only one physical network card) because we do that for services both for our clients and for internal purposes.

Kind regards