Not connected, Your IP: 3.14.70.203
Sign in to follow this  
lerk08

Connection issues and other questions

Hello!

I am having a few troubles with AirVPN. I'll summarize them and go in to detail afterwards. For a little information on my setup I'm using Windows 7 Professional connected via ethernet cable to a router. Standard Win 7 Firewall (no I will not use Comodo, no need) but have no rules than what's standard with the OS.

1. When connected to a VPN server under the Win 7 connection popup it says "No internet access" even when it does have access and I can browse. I've searched and cannot find how to solve this.

Hello!

1. This is normal.

2. Having trouble forwarding ports. I have one forwarded in my profile and the same is being used in uTorrent. However, under the forwarding port page it just says "Waiting for a checking" and does nothing.

Please make sure that uTorrent listens to the same port you have remotely forwarded. Make sure that Windows firewall is not blocking uTorrent on any network. "Run a torrent" and check whether you obtain a green token in uTorrent to verify that the port is correctly forwarded. We confirm you that port forwarding is working correctly on all servers for every client.

3. Speeds when connected are very slow when compared to my previous VPN services (which offered similar servers and speeds).

Please see the FAQ https://airvpn.org for various reasons for which you may obtain low performance. Since you have already jumped to conclusions, remember that you have 3 days to ask for a full refund, "no questions asked".

Kind regards

One observation: Your speed tests were done incorrectly, and therefore your results are misleading. You tested Sirius against the MAIDSTONE server, which is located in the U.K. Speedtest.net erroneously chose that as the default test server because it thinks it's the closest location for some reason (obviously a mistake, since Sirius is hosted by Leaseweb USA in Manassas, Virginia -- not U.K.).

Try changing the test server to ASHBURN, VA instead, and this time your reported speedtest results should be more accurate -- and probably at least twice as fast.

All of Air's Netherlands servers are located in the same data center, so performance-wise they should all be roughly the same. Therefore in order to find the best server, you should just pick whichever one has the lowest % bandwidth utilization and you're good to go.

I would agree that you should be getting much faster speed with that kind of broadband internet connectivity, though. If you say you were able to max out 70% of your speed with your other provider, then you should have no problem whatsoever achieving similar speeds here.

When you ran those speed tests, were you in the process of doing any heavy (bandwidth-intensive) data transfers such as P2P or HD video streaming? Or is someone else on your network hogging all of the available bandwidth, perhaps? Other than that, I can't really think of anything else that would explain your lackluster speeds.

Well, your speedtests are not that informative, since you use the wrong server and the slow protocol. I'm getting rather slow speeds with TCP too, that's just how the protocol and the speedtest works.

Try downloading some files from different high speed servers or even some torrents, that's much more meaningful.

You could also try pingtest.net for example to test for some packet loss first.

Think lots of servers from speedtest.net don't even have the speeds to actually perform a reliable test! Even when using my home connection (100Mbit/s) I more often than not don't get 50% on most servers.

Don't take all the speedtest stuff too seriously. That's what I get for example when using Cassio and running on a fast NL server: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2154833333.png ...which I'm very happy with. When I use another NL server to test the speed though, it's less than 1/4 for example.

The most accurate speed test is our internal speedtest, directly on our VPN servers. In this way you will get a consistent and coherent relative index of the performance (of course do not use speedtest to have an absolute index) which will help you determine the server, port and protocol which can provide you with the best performance.

The speedtest is available in menu "Member Area"->"Speed Test". You need to be connected to a VPN server and logged in the website.

Kind regards

Hey I'm new to all this,

I've correctly installed and set up tunnelblk using config files from a US sever. Tunnelblk connects successfully, but then after a minute or so throws me an error message saying the internet is unreachable and that my VPN may not be configured properly. I think I'm missing something vital here. I tried using different DNS addresses but that hasn't worked. Running os x 10.6.

Can you help me?

Hey I'm new to all this,

I've correctly installed and set up tunnelblk using config files from a US sever. Tunnelblk connects successfully, but then after a minute or so throws me an error message saying the internet is unreachable and that my VPN may not be configured properly. I think I'm missing something vital here. I tried using different DNS addresses but that hasn't worked. Running os x 10.6.

Can you help me?

Hello!

Can you please send us the Tunnelblick logs?

Kind regards

Would be happy to do this - where should I send it please?

Hello!

You can send them where you prefer: here on this thread (cut sensitive information), on the "Contact us" form or on the Help Desk.

Kind regards