Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.48.62
Sign in to follow this  
maltasan

Any Difference? What if we use VPN?

Hello,

I'm newbie on networking. Allow me if the questions below are plain stupid.

According to this(http://falkvinge.net/2012/07/13/new-japanese-copyright-law-doesnt-seem-to-make-any-sense/), in some country, viewing any kind of videos at Youtube seems "OK", but downloading them are a big "No".

But, these two things, viewing and downloading Youtube videos, are the same things, aren't they?

Is it possible for the pros that monitor net traffic to tell the difference of these two things?

What if we use VPN?

Any input on this is greatly appreciated!

Hi

if you use a vpn than you should have no problem , they do not know your real IP so they cannot say that you was ......

regards

Hello,

But, these two things, viewing and downloading Youtube videos, are the same things, aren't they?

Hello!

Yes, the same thing. The difference between "downloading" and "viewing" YouTube video is a big lie, maybe prefabricated by deranged copyright fundamentalists OR, on the contrary, to please them. In order to support the lie, all kind of stuff is in place in an attempt to prevent videos downloads after you have downloaded them. :D

Is it possible for the pros that monitor net traffic to tell the difference of these two things?

In general it's not possible to discern that. The video file is sent anyway. Retrieving it from your cache or copying it while it's coming down are activities not related to the network.

Kind regards

Hello admin and Tamarrano!

Thanks for the reply.

I'm relieved to hear you guys' answers

I'm sure these answers will help a lot of Japanese, too.

I will recommend AirVPN to them, when I start my Japanese blog!

I think all Japanese net users need a VPN to prevent themselves from becoming "criminals" without being aware of that.

In fact, many of my friends there are concerned about the new copyright law, which is very vague and could turn average Japanese net users into "criminals"!

Again, many thank for your help!

interesting japan is becoming pretty much worse than the US is now lols , the best luck to you guys i love japan and the great inventions and stuff that comes from it , stay safe and free , peace

Hi sunnymorning,

This kind of law chould pass easily there, as their politicians only listen to so-called bureaucrats and large industries (, plus the US govt., of course), while they tend to ignore the peoples...

In fact, the law seemed to passe behind their back and many Japanese seemed to be aware of it after Anonymous hacked Japanese gov.'s websites....

Also, while in Japan, I was appalled to see many Japanese got arrested for attempted extortion by only posting death/bomb threats to celebs, which cleary looks a joke and not a real, on the massage board as a result of a heated argument.

Since then, I began to be interested in a VPN, so that I could say anything I want on Japanese forum...

Hi sunnymorning,

This kind of law chould pass easily there, as their politicians only listen to so-called bureaucrats and large industries (, plus the US govt., of course), while they tend to ignore the peoples...

In fact, the law seemed to passe behind their back and many Japanese seemed to be aware of it after Anonymous hacked Japanese gov.'s websites....

Also, while in Japan, I was appalled to see many Japanese got arrested for attempted extortion by only posting death/bomb threats to celebs, which cleary looks a joke and not a real, on the massage board as a result of a heated argument.

Since then, I began to be interested in a VPN, so that I could say anything I want on Japanese forum...

????

???????????????????????????????VPN?????????Air????????????????????????????????????????????VPN??????????AirVPN?????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????10???VPN???????????

English:

I told him that most likely that although the new law coming into effect is scary, the chances of it being actually enforced are very, very slim but to be safe, he should get a VPN.

????

???????????????????????????????VPN?????????Air????????????????????????????????????????????VPN??????????AirVPN?????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????10???VPN???????????

English:

I told him that most likely that although the new law coming into effect is scary, the chances of it being actually enforced are very, very slim but to be safe, he should get a VPN.

???????????????

????????????????

I know my English is ESL but let me keep it so other members can understand...

Anyhow, I'm so glad to finally find someone in Japan use a VPN...

I am having a hard time convincing my friends over there.o get one.

I think VPN will be a must(, not an option) !

And it IS already actually..., as you might get caught for a thing you just write on a message board there, remember?...where are the freedom of speech over there, BTW?

Plus, IPs the largest DSL ISP (Yahoo BB!) in Japan assigns are practically static.

Anyway, I heard the coming law was made just for the record industry.

No wonder the law is so narrow-minded and it had to be passed behind the people's back!

I'm sure it will only do harm average Japaneses and no good...

For example, I have a friend over there who is a tech writer for IT mag/blog.

As a part of her job, she watch same Youtube videos, such as tutorial videos for new app, over and over.

So, I recommended her IMD a couple of months ago.

She really loves it, cuz she can watch those videos when/wherever she wants, even without an Internet connection.

Besides, she no longer has to be worried about them being gone or removed.

I'm sure creators of those videos are also happy about it and so should be Youtube(, to reduce get rid of the unnecessary server load).

This sounds like a win-win to me, but they say it will soon be illegal? What a nonsense!

Plus, the law is likely to open up new opportunities for cyber criminals.

I mean, Japanese con artists will soon come up with a fraud scheme like "one-click fraud", taking advantage of the l

I'm out of a country right now but I'm still a voter there.

I need a list of politicians who voted for the law to make sure that they will lose their next election.

- malta

Hi Admin,

This might have already been answered in your previous posts.

But, I'm a little computer illiterate and I'd like to do a double check on it..

Could you, please, clarify if this is correct or not, so I can confidently persuade my friends to try a VPN?

I understand ISPs can distinguish P2P traffic from other types.

Using the same (DPI?) or other technique, are they still unable to identify video downloading trafic from video streaming/viewing traffic(or even from regular one), even thought they are able to do P2P?

How about VPN traffic?

Can't they also discern it from regular traffic?

- malta

Hey!

No, the ISP can't see if you are downloading the video or only viewing it because to view it, you obviously have to download it into your browser's cache.

Think you can use youtube with https:// so it's just encrypted traffic anyway and shouldn't make a difference.

Also, you can encrypt your P2P traffic which might work to circumvent any traffic shaping used by your ISP to slow down bittorrent.

I'm an American living in Japan. Ive been here for 3 years and have been downloading and torrenting without worry until now. The rules of this new law are #!$%$ ridiculous. It was obviously passed by corrupt bureaucrats who were paid off by the music industry because their business is in the toilet. 2 years in jail for downloading 1 video. Unfortunately Japan is following the US. in the attempt to police the internet however they see fit. Ive just received a trial account for AirVPN and will be enjoying it for the next 4 days and will almost definitely purchase it.