Not connected, Your IP: 3.224.147.211
byuoIYGTF

Reverse class action lawsuit

Has anyone using airvpn been hit with a reverse class action lawsuit from one of the movie studios or anyone else for that matter?

I have been a member for almost 3 years, and everyday i check the forums and i have never read anyone complaining they got a lawsuit or a warning while using Airvpn....

You can search the forums and make sure. 

reverse class action lawsuit regarding the following?

https://torrentfreak.com/movie-studios-are-suing-canadian-bittorrent-users-but-thats-nothing-new-190418/

4 hours ago, byuoIYGTF said:

one of the movie studios or anyone else for that matter?

No. NEVER.

May I ask how did that happen to you ....while "using airvpn"?

This thread should be soon moved to Off-topic.

There are no "class action" or "reverse class action" or any classy actions that can be enforced on you, when you use a

VPN correctly. And this is not only limited to AirVPN but to all VPN providers who at least claim not to keep logs.

The only action a real VPN provider will respond to such copyright requests is a "reverse cowgirl" statement.

Technically, when you use torrent software over a VPN tunnel correctly (i.e. no leaks and no one-offs without VPN)

your traffic is being fully encrypted by the VPN tunnel, and there are no known counter measures to determine which

user was behind the VPN server. And a log-less VPN provider will forward all the DMCA requests to a special location

in Unix systems called /dev/null. Or if to be more polite, a statement that the server behind this IP serves thousands of users.

Actually, one of the reasons "good" VPN providers have locations in countries like U.S. is a pre-agreed "quota" of abuse

complaints regarding DMCA, where both the data-center and the leasing entity (AirVPN in this case) both know that the

servers are going to be offered to the public, where a possible violation of "copyrights" may occur on some specific  manners.

Of course, if you want to help Air with the mission - please avoid illegal Torrent activity from U.S. servers. This a request, not  a demand.

The way to do it right is to produce actual, non-logged activity,  such as  - this month the server ran 500TB of data, out of it was

only 1% of copyrighted one - where it is somewhat acceptable.

As I mentioned earlier this week - the more abuse (DMCA) complaints some datacenters will receive, the less likelihood the datacenter

will want to provide upstream to providers like AirVPN. So the less complaints you, as a community,  can generate, the more freedom

you and other users can have in the future.

Rarely any VPN provider will cooperate with such copyright trolls, because it will basically mean a public statement

that they cannot protect their users privacy. Since I'm not a lawyer probably Staff (Paolo) can share the official legal terms.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

@zhang888

That's correct, in the European Union cooperating with a private entity in an attempt to disclose and transmit personal data (including an IP address, which is recognized under specific circumstances as "personal data") is a borderline operation which may configure civil and even criminal infringements. The transmission of personal data between private companies without the explicit and informed consent of the data subject is a serious infringement in every EU country.

Just for information or curiosity, in Italy the attempt to disclose a person's identity through IP addresses harvesting and request to the provider (ISP in general, proxy, VPN...) has been recognized as an illegal act, which must be rejected, in the so called "Peppermint affair", a long dispute between 2005 and 2010, which ended with a resounding defeat of all copyright trolls. One of central roles defending the interests of the citizens whose identities could have been disclosed according to the improper or illegal requests of copyright trolls was covered by lawyer Carlo Blengino, who has been a source of inspiration to protect privacy and personal data for an AirVPN founder throughout the years, inspiration that is one of the leading AirVPN creation reasons.

https://www.altalex.com/documents/news/2010/03/24/caso-peppermint-la-riservatezza-delle-comunicazioni-prevale-sul-diritto-d-autore

Kind regards

15 hours ago, zhang888 said:

This thread should be soon moved to Off-topic.

There are no "class action" or "reverse class action" or any classy actions that can be enforced on you, when you use a

VPN correctly. And this is not only limited to AirVPN but to all VPN providers who at least claim not to keep logs.

The only action a real VPN provider will respond to such copyright requests is a "reverse cowgirl" statement.

Technically, when you use torrent software over a VPN tunnel correctly (i.e. no leaks and no one-offs without VPN)

your traffic is being fully encrypted by the VPN tunnel, and there are no known counter measures to determine which

user was behind the VPN server. And a log-less VPN provider will forward all the DMCA requests to a special location

in Unix systems called /dev/null. Or if to be more polite, a statement that the server behind this IP serves thousands of users.

Actually, one of the reasons "good" VPN providers have locations in countries like U.S. is a pre-agreed "quota" of abuse

complaints regarding DMCA, where both the data-center and the leasing entity (AirVPN in this case) both know that the

servers are going to be offered to the public, where a possible violation of "copyrights" may occur on some specific  manners.

Of course, if you want to help Air with the mission - please avoid illegal Torrent activity from U.S. servers. This a request, not  a demand.

The way to do it right is to produce actual, non-logged activity,  such as  - this month the server ran 500TB of data, out of it was

only 1% of copyrighted one - where it is somewhat acceptable.

As I mentioned earlier this week - the more abuse (DMCA) complaints some datacenters will receive, the less likelihood the datacenter

will want to provide upstream to providers like AirVPN. So the less complaints you, as a community,  can generate, the more freedom

you and other users can have in the future.

Rarely any VPN provider will cooperate with such copyright trolls, because it will basically mean a public statement

that they cannot protect their users privacy. Since I'm not a lawyer probably Staff (Paolo) can share the official legal terms.

Thanks for your comment and no this has not happened to me.  When you say correctly what do you mean.  I installed the provided app and use it.  Is there something else I should be doing?  I am not a network engineer just a regular person.

5 hours ago, Staff said:

@zhang888

That's correct, in the European Union cooperating with a private entity in an attempt to disclose and transmit personal data (including an IP address, which is recognized under specific circumstances as "personal data") is a borderline operation which may configure civil and even criminal infringements. The transmission of personal data between private companies without the explicit and informed consent of the data subject is a serious infringement in every EU country.

Just for information or curiosity, in Italy the attempt to disclose a person's identity through IP addresses harvesting and request to the provider (ISP in general, proxy, VPN...) has been recognized as an illegal act, which must be rejected, in the so called "Peppermint affair", a long dispute between 2005 and 2010, which ended with a resounding defeat of all copyright trolls. One of central roles defending the interests of the citizens whose identities could have been disclosed according to the improper or illegal requests of copyright trolls was covered by lawyer Carlo Blengino, who has been a source of inspiration to protect privacy and personal data for an AirVPN founder throughout the years, inspiration that is one of the leading AirVPN creation reasons.

https://www.altalex.com/documents/news/2010/03/24/caso-peppermint-la-riservatezza-delle-comunicazioni-prevale-sul-diritto-d-autore

Kind regards

Thank you for your comments.  What about your servers in Canada where is action is happening?

11 hours ago, byuoIYGTF said:

Thanks for your comment and no this has not happened to me.  When you say correctly what do you mean.  I installed the provided app and use it.  Is there something else I should be doing?  I am not a network engineer just a regular person.

He means to use Network Lock - assuming you are using Eddie as your VPN client.