Not connected, Your IP: 3.149.242.16
Sign in to follow this  
wasdfou

Lag spikes in online games.

In online games, I am getting lag spikes that happen every 2 minutes or so where there seems to be 2-4 seconds of packet loss. This has been happening for months in many games, but only happens when I am connected to the VPN. It never disconnects me, and the pauses are very consistant and predictable. It also happens with games running in a VMware virtual machine. I assume it happens with all applications, and not just games, but it is only really noticeable in games. Happens with both US servers.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and a WNDR3700 router. Running the VPN client in windows.

http://i.imgur.com/ADkcS.png

On the left is without the VPN running, and on the right is a virtual machine with the VPN. I started both of these at the same time. Is it normal to have slight packet loss over VPN?

Hello!

Please try to connect to a TCP port and see whether the 2% packet loss is mitigated.

We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

With TCP the packet loss is gone but it just ruins the rest of the connection for latency. The lost packets are still noticable although it is not as severe since they are resent instead of dropped.

UDP performs very well except for the consistant packet loss every couple minutes.

Is this an unavoidable problem with openVPN or VPNs in general, or do other VPN services not have this problem? I just want a VPN I can leave on and use for all my applications. =/

First of all I'm sorry for pushing such an old thread but this thread is the only one who deals with the exact same issue I am facing plus it already got a respond from Staff (even though no real solution was found). I already tried different protocols but without any luck. The packet losses are less while using TCP but they are still there and it's quite annoying. I am not only facing this issue when playing a game, I am also facing it when I have multiple programs running which are dependent on an internet connection. This is especially annoying while using Skype / TeamSpeak (for example).

Anyone got a solution for this? I really like AirVPN but I can't seem to get rid of this problem.

First of all I'm sorry for pushing such an old thread but this thread is the only one who deals with the exact same issue I am facing plus it already got a respond from Staff (even though no real solution was found). I already tried different protocols but without any luck. The packet losses are less while using TCP but they are still there and it's quite annoying. I am not only facing this issue when playing a game, I am also facing it when I have multiple programs running which are dependent on an internet connection. This is especially annoying while using Skype / TeamSpeak (for example).

Anyone got a solution for this? I really like AirVPN but I can't seem to get rid of this problem.

I would suggest a server closer to you, I been using servers in all of Europe from airvpn and I have pretty decent connections my Ping never get higher than 60-80 which isn't bad all things considered. The time where I DID have a lag spike has been CSGO and lets be real people have those even without VPN in that game.

[...]

I would suggest a server closer to you, I been using servers in all of Europe from airvpn and I have pretty decent connections my Ping never get higher than 60-80 which isn't bad all things considered. The time where I DID have a lag spike has been CSGO and lets be real people have those even without VPN in that game.

I have this issue with every server. My ping is very low when I use UDP but the packet loss isn't bearable. If I use TCP the packet loss gets less but my ping is way too high (to the point were I disconnect from TeamSpeak).