Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.240.21
Sign in to follow this  
YLwpLUbcf77U

Solutions to slow downloads?

My connection without VPN usually nets me 1-1.5MB/sec down.

Every since using AirVPN, my download speeds have shrank to anywhere between 30-100KB/sec with VoiP being even worse (10-15KB/sec).

Uploads on the other hand are fine.

I have mainly been using the Castor server since it pings the best but other servers have given me similar if not worse results. I've also tried all the different ports with UDP and TCP. Interestingly, switching to TCP does improve download speeds (100-300KB/sec) but upload speeds go totally to hell.

Any ideas?

I am using Windows 7 Firewall and am on a wireless N connection.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think that using a wired connection would really improve the speeds when on VPN? When I wrote that I get 1-1.5MB/sec down, that is on my wireless connection. In fact, those were speeds that I got just before writing the post and then going back on the VPN.

The download link you gave me transfers at about 40KB/sec when on Castor.

EDIT (several hours later): speed has picked up to 100+KB/sec and am not sure why. I haven't changed anything on my end. Nevertheless, upload xfer speed *far* exceeds download speeds. Although having fast upload is important, having a steady equally quick, and most importantly STABLE downstream is critical as well hence creating this thread.

Mind you, through all of this my uploads are still way above satisfactory. Uploading to my business dedicated server in the east coast of USA transfers at 200-400KB/sec. Seeing those kinds of download speeds on VPN no matter what the source perplexes me hence this post.

well i now wireless connections tend to be a bit unstable if the connection isnt perfect or near perfect and therefore i fought it would be good for experimental reason to se if it gests better if you connect by cable

you can measure stability/quality with this software http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

40 kb/sec is a very poor download speed its like and old dial up connection the file you downloaded is hosted at the same datacenter as castor so it should give you optimal speed

u should make sure u tried downloading several files at the same time thats usually bosts the speed a bit

what upload speed do have without the vpn?

an internet connection can actually get faster through the vpn because all the data is compressed before being sent through the tunnel which means it will use up less bandwidth when transferred through the internet

@aaronasaka

Hello!

This is just a wild guess in case you have Windows, but it's worth a try. We have some reports from Asus and other vendors customers from which it appears that some pre-installed "network card managers" have the effect to slow down dramatically the connection when OpenVPN is in use. For example, "Network i Control" from Asus appears from our reports to slow down the connection only when a TUN/TAP interface is used (just like in the OpenVPN case).

At your convenience, and just in case you run a pre-installed Windows, please check whether you have one of those programs running and disable it to check whether the OpenVPN performance improves.

Kind regards