Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.221.136
bobbarker

Route specific program through VPN

Hey all,

I'm trying to route 2 specific programs through the VPN and only the two specific programs. The first program is SABNZBD and the second program is QBittorrent. I can't seem to find much online about doing this using the GUI with eddie and the routing tables. Granted I don't have to do it this way, it just seems like it would be safest. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

It's not something that's easy to do, certainly not something that can be done through Eddie.

The easiest way to do it is to run the two apps you want (and Eddie) in a separate virtual machine, setup so that it's got its own IP address on your local network.

It's not something that's easy to do, certainly not something that can be done through Eddie.

The easiest way to do it is to run the two apps you want (and Eddie) in a separate virtual machine, setup so that it's got its own IP address on your local network.

I tried to do this and actually completely set up a VM using hyper-v on win 10 - then I set up a homegroup between the VM and the PC - this is where the issue arose, I couldn't get the homegroup to consistently work. Is there a simple way to be able to automatically transfer downloaded files between the VM and the PC running it? I also need programs on the PC side to tell the download programs (qbittorrent and SABNZBD) what to download. 

I tried to do this and actually completely set up a VM using hyper-v on win 10 - then I set up a homegroup between the VM and the PC - this is where the issue arose, I couldn't get the homegroup to consistently work. Is there a simple way to be able to automatically transfer downloaded files between the VM and the PC running it? I also need programs on the PC side to tell the download programs (qbittorrent and SABNZBD) what to download. 

I use virtualbox with a Mint install as the guest virtual machine, windows 10 host.

With vitualbox you can allow the guest VM to access folders on the host directly.  It's called shared folders IIRC.

Wouldn't you want to run ALL of your traffic through the vpn ALL the time?

From what I understand, you want only two apps to use the vpn? What about the rest of your traffic? Isn't it under utilizing a vpn in the first place?

Maybe you can help me better understand the point to all this. I'm a cybersec researcher so I'm curious

Peace!

I second the suggestion by go558a83nk to use VirtualBox - this is an easy-to-use and stable solution if performance is not a big issue which for bittorrent it is definitely not. But I would, too, like to understand why it is that you want to route most of your traffic outside the VPN? The other way round might make sense like for online gaming where low pings are important. So I get why one would prefer not to use a VPN in such cases.

Wouldn't you want to run ALL of your traffic through the vpn ALL the time?

From what I understand, you want only two apps to use the vpn? What about the rest of your traffic? Isn't it under utilizing a vpn in the first place?

Maybe you can help me better understand the point to all this. I'm a cybersec researcher so I'm curious

Peace!

The point is so that I can access sonarr and radarr outside my own network with duckdns and caddy. I tried to forward the ports through AIRVPN, but I have never been successful at that and I have tried so many times it's insane. I can get plex to forward through airvpn, but I can't get sonarr or radarr. I have no idea why. Hope this clears things up! If you guys have suggestions on how to get that working, that would in reality be the absolute best way. Until then I'm going to try out virtualbox, thanks for the suggestion!

If the program you want to be the only thing going through the VPN can be bound to specific IP interface then you can:

1) Set up your routing so that the VPN is not used by default, but does allow "source address routing".

2) Bind your program to the VPN interface.

qBittorrent can be bound to a specific IP interface.

I don't see any configuration option for telling SABnzbd to bind to specific interface. But you may be able to locate the "bind" call in the SABnzbd source and provide for that. I don't see the need to run SABnzbd through a VPN if you use an SSL news server. Or are you afraid that your Usenet provider may rat you out if they have previously seen you downloading something that later gets DMCA-ed? I see this as extremely unlikely.

The way provide for point 1) is different for Windows, Linux and BSD/MacOS. See this:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/page-5?do=findComment&comment=70957

If the program you want to be the only thing going through the VPN can be bound to specific IP interface then you can:

1) Set up your routing so that the VPN is not used by default, but does allow "source address routing".

2) Bind your program to the VPN interface.

qBittorrent can be bound to a specific IP interface.

I don't see any configuration option for telling SABnzbd to bind to specific interface. But you may be able to locate the "bind" call in the SABnzbd source and provide for that. I don't see the need to run SABnzbd through a VPN if you use an SSL news server. Or are you afraid that your Usenet provider may rat you out if they have previously seen you downloading something that later gets DMCA-ed? I see this as extremely unlikely.

The way provide for point 1) is different for Windows, Linux and BSD/MacOS. See this:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/page-5?do=findComment&comment=70957

Thank you for your post. My idea with using the VPN is simply another layer of safety. My ISP is suddenlink and they are insane. They even ship their own modems that have a special blocking feature that blocks VPN access. I had to buy my own modem to just be able to use my VPN which is completely legal... kind of crazy.

So here is the problem with your solution for me though - when I turn the VPN on everything goes through it and I can't access caddy server from a remote network. For some reason I can't get the port forwarding that is built into airvpn to allow caddy server out.

... so that the VPN is not used by default...

So here is the problem with your solution for me though - when I turn the VPN on everything goes through it and I can't access caddy server from a remote network. For some reason I can't get the port forwarding that is built into airvpn to allow caddy server out.

I don't think you understood me. When the VPN is not the default gateway, nothing goes through the VPN. unless you bind that program to the VPN interface. For me only torrent traffic goes through the VPN, because I bind my torrent client to the VPN interface. Everything else goes as normal.

EDIT: If you really feel you must run SABnzbd through the VPN, you could determine the IP addresses for your news server(s) using "nslookup" from a command line and add routing table entries for those to go over the VPN, using the "route" command. See the link I posted for discussion about doing this sort of thing.