Not connected, Your IP: 18.217.220.114
RodimusPrime

Unable to edit protocols in Eddie 2.13.6 on Windows 10 Home

Hi everyone, I am one of the many users running into incredibly slow speeds in the last month or two, and I have searched far and wide to try every suggestion so far.

On a thread I can't find right now, a user suggested editing the protocols in Eddie and changing to a higher port number, because Comcast is throttling lower ports. I found the Protocols section in Eddie's Preferences, but I cannot modify or interact with them in any way.

I can uncheck the Automatic box, but I can't click, double-click, right-click, or type in this screen at all. Is there something I am missing to be able to edit these port numbers? Or are there supposed to be buttons in this window for me to click?

lnOcAv8.png

As I mentioned in the thread title, I am running Windows 10 Home (Creator's Update). I found a previous thread from 2017 with this same issue that never had an answer posted. Any ideas?

Hello!

You're doing it correctly. You selected UDP 41185 in the image. Click save. Now simply connect or re-connect to a server.

You can then go to the Stats tab and confirm that the chosen protocol is in use.

If there's any other questions, then please feel free to ask.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thanks for the quick response! I was under the assumption that I could change the port number so I could match it to my port forwarding set up here on the Client Area... is that not necessary for this Change Protocols section?

Perhaps I misunderstand what this Change Protocols window is doing?

No worries. Why are you port forwarding? There's no need to match port forwarding to the protocol used in the client, if that's what you mean.

But if for example you were torrenting, you would obtain a port number in the port forwarding area and then insert that number into your torrent client.

Without (needing to) touch the protocol options in Eddie. Thus port forwarding is for when you need something to be reachable from the Internet.

While changing protocols is for things such as when your ISP may be throttling you.

You may want to read the stickied threads by Staff:

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

OK, I see that Eddie is now connecting over UDP port 41185, thank you for the clarification

The problem I am having is I can get very good speeds with http traffic on speedtest sites (> 120 mbps), but I can't even get to 20 mbps when I try to download active/popular torrents when I am connected to AirVPN.

I forwarded a port in the Client Area, but the test never succeeds:

znMEFTP.png

I configured the torrent program to use the same port, but something is blocking that traffic from being sent and received properly. Per the link you shared, I do not have any port forwarding enabled on my router, are there any other common mistakes people make when setting up P2P (torrent) connections with AirVPN? Is there a guide for troubleshooting or diagnosing where the traffic is being blocked or incorrectly sent to?

Thanks again for all your help so far, I appreciate it!

Are you using any 3rd party security software perhaps?

Also, ports aren't the only thing which must be configured in a torrent client. You can refer to the New User guide in my signature and go to the guides section to find links on configuring torrent clients.

An easy mistake for instance, would be to forget to turn off port randomization in the torrent client. Thus changing the ports constantly. Which torrent client are you using anyway?

There's no need to thank me so much haha. We're a community, we help each other when we can.

I do not have the port randomization enabled. I even deleted the port I had been using and let the Client Area assign a new random port for me. When I set that up in my torrent client, I see that it's receiving connections, but they are incredibly slow, like 1% of my actual bandwidth.

I've gone through the settings and options for everything that I could think of, so that's why I tried posting here to see if I can figure out what I am missing.

When I try different online "port check" tools, they all say that the port is not open, so I have no problem admitting that I am missing something here, I just don't see what it may be.

- Did you turn on Network Lock?

- Did you bind your torrent client to a specific interface such as TAP?

- Did you turn off uTP protocol and any "stealth" modes?

- Did you remember to restart the torrent client after making changes and then testing from the Client Area again?

I wonder if trying out SSL/SSH will help against Comcast. But we're working a little in the dark here, when we don't know your torrent client.

If nothing works, you can also always contact support directly .

Network Lock is enabled. I've tested servers in multiple geographic locations and cannot get more than 20 mbps with torrents. I've even tried without Network Lock and it is the same slow speed.

I am using Tixati for my torrent client. Here are the screenshots of my configuration that match the documentation I have found here in the forums and what you and others have shared in other threads.

Port set up matches client area. I have even restarted my PC and not seen any changes in speeds so far.

ISj8Z1e.png

Only IPv4 is enabled on my PC/Network Adapters, and I have bound the IPv4 address to the TAP adapter:

aN0GOAN.png

No proxy settings in the way:

aqQXQIt.png

Port shows listening/green, but still does not show open on any port checkers/tests including the AirVPN test.

ltn7Fik.png

For your comment about trying SSL/SSH, do you mean choosing one of those options in the Protocols Preferences for Eddie? I don't think that's a setting in Tixati...

I did mean Eddie, sorry for being unclear.

It's good you post images.

Thanks for confirming. It seems like the different ports (and higher port numbers) along with an SSL protocol in Eddie have made a 10x improvement for me!

zFPWstj.png

rOHb08B.png

Unfortunately, I'm still only getting 1/3 of my bandwidth when connected to AirVPN, and the port still isn't showing open in the Client Area and on other test sites.

This is a speed test from the same server/connection on AirVPN just now when I turned off the torrent where I got the speeds above:

oq9amML.png

Excellent. You should also note that geographical proximity doesn't automatically result in a better connection.

Which therefore means I hope you try different locations too. As an example, the Netherlands are a really well-connected place.

Speedtests can also be quite unreliable. Many prefer downloading a Linux torrent in order to test speeds for instance. (Bittorent/Torrenting isn't illegal and Linux OS' aren't copyrighted).

Are you using a wired connection or wireless one? If wireless, it's good to take further measures to beef up the signal.