Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.174.55
b1nary1337

Route netflix traffic outside VPN

So, I've been trying to get this working for quite some time now but I am still not able to get netflix' traffic routed outside the VPN tunnel.

What I've done so far is:

Adding the following domains/hosts to the routes in the preferences:

- netflix.com

- nflxvideo.net
 - nflxext.com

Checked the "Allow detected DNS" box and added the same domains to the addresses allowed field.
On the OVPN directives tab I added the following for the 3 domains: route netflix.com 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

Is there anything I'm missing out on? I just want to route my netflix traffc outside the VPN and all the other traffic to be inside the VPN tunnel without the need of a virtual machine. Has anyone an approach for this?

So, I've been trying to get this working for quite some time now but I am still not able to get netflix' traffic routed outside the VPN tunnel.

What I've done so far is:

Adding the following domains/hosts to the routes in the preferences:

- netflix.com

- nflxvideo.net
 - nflxext.com

Checked the "Allow detected DNS" box and added the same domains to the addresses allowed field.
On the OVPN directives tab I added the following for the 3 domains: route netflix.com 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

Is there anything I'm missing out on? I just want to route my netflix traffc outside the VPN and all the other traffic to be inside the VPN tunnel without the need of a virtual machine. Has anyone an approach for this?

It's pretty much impossible to accomplish this because Netflix uses servers such as AWS to stream.  You'd have to route all of AWS outside the tunnel as well.

Early on after Netflix began blocking VPN traffic you could do what you're doing but that was quickly squashed.

BTW, I think you're being redundant in putting domains in the routes tab and also in custom directives.  Also, putting those domains in the addresses allowed field of the network lock tab is correct but allow detected DNS shouldn't matter if you're using AirVPN DNS.

It's pretty much impossible to accomplish this because Netflix uses servers such as AWS to stream.  You'd have to route all of AWS outside the tunnel as well.

Early on after Netflix began blocking VPN traffic you could do what you're doing but that was quickly squashed.

BTW, I think you're being redundant in putting domains in the routes tab and also in custom directives.  Also, putting those domains in the addresses allowed field of the network lock tab is correct but allow detected DNS shouldn't matter if you're using AirVPN DNS.

Yea, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything so I've put these domains into routes and directives. However I've just set up Manjaro (linux distro based on arch) as dual boot and installed the client from the arch user repository. Now I've set up the same routes and it's working perfectly fine, when using windows it still doesn't work (at least for netflix). But I guess it's enough for me if it at least works on linux.

Yea, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything so I've put these domains into routes and directives. However I've just set up Manjaro (linux distro based on arch) as dual boot and installed the client from the arch user repository. Now I've set up the same routes and it's working perfectly fine, when using windows it still doesn't work (at least for netflix). But I guess it's enough for me if it at least works on linux.

please make sure your VPN is working properly.  I must say I'm quite surprised.