Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.69.45
Sign in to follow this  
FPyro

Slow speeds on GB/s servers

Hi!

I am getting rather slow speeds on all GB servers, the only ones I ever use. I get 4-6Mbit/s download, 3Mbit/s upload, although my internet connection is a solid 100Mbit/s.

What's so strange is that I'm not far from both NL and new DE server, ping 40... and the servers are apparently not even at half capacity!

Sometimes I got a decent 20Mbit/s, but only very rarely.

How can you explain that? It's somewhat disappointing when the server tells me it's at 180/1000 and I can'T even get 5Mbit/s ...

Edit: Speeds get considerably better (30-40Mbit/s downstream) later in the night...so maybe it's got something to do with leaseweb in general, not with that particular server...

I'm really confused

Hi!

I am getting rather slow speeds on all GB servers, the only ones I ever use. I get 4-6Mbit/s download, 3Mbit/s upload, although my internet connection is a solid 100Mbit/s.

What's so strange is that I'm not far from both NL and new DE server, ping 40... and the servers are apparently not even at half capacity!

Sometimes I got a decent 20Mbit/s, but only very rarely.

How can you explain that? It's somewhat disappointing when the server tells me it's at 180/1000 and I can'T even get 5Mbit/s ...

Edit: Speeds get considerably better (30-40Mbit/s downstream) later in the night...so maybe it's got something to do with leaseweb in general, not with that particular server...

I'm really confused

Hello!

It's difficult to explain. We don't detect bottlenecks in the data centers where our servers are located (either with Leaseweb or with different providers). A possible explanation might be that your provider caps bandwidth on certain ports during peak hours. We see more and more ISPs capping various or all UDP ports. Just in case you have not already tried, please test a connection on port 80 TCP.

We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

That's very interesting and would explain it.

I actually tried different ports and there is a HUGE difference is speed. Switching to TCP 80 doubled my download speed to 12Mbit/s but reduced my upload to 2Mbit/s, then changing to UDP 53 improved download still more to about 15-16Mbit/s and upload to over 5Mbit/s, which is perfectly acceptable.

I guess I'll keep using this one for now, although I'm curious as to whether there is any way to evade all ISP related speed capping mechanisms, if it in fact has to do with my ISP.

The thing which bothered me most is that it doesn't really make sense to me that I couldn't get my full connection speed on a server which has so much bandwidth still available; I never thought somebody could be tampering with my line.

Would asking the ISP help maybe if and why/when there are limitations on certain ports and how high those are? I'm not sure if they would admit to it though...

Thanks for your help!

That's very interesting and would explain it.

I actually tried different ports and there is a HUGE difference is speed. Switching to TCP 80 doubled my download speed to 12Mbit/s but reduced my upload to 2Mbit/s, then changing to UDP 53 improved download still more to about 15-16Mbit/s and upload to over 5Mbit/s, which is perfectly acceptable.

I guess I'll keep using this one for now, although I'm curious as to whether there is any way to evade all ISP related speed capping mechanisms, if it in fact has to do with my ISP.

The thing which bothered me most is that it doesn't really make sense to me that I couldn't get my full connection speed on a server which has so much bandwidth still available; I never thought somebody could be tampering with my line.

Would asking the ISP help maybe if and why/when there are limitations on certain ports and how high those are? I'm not sure if they would admit to it though...

Thanks for your help!

Hello!

The above are strong hints that your ISP is capping bandwidth on certain ports.

If you live in the EU, please note that Directive 2002/22/EC as amended by 2009/136/EC (one of the major directives of the "Telecoms Package"), article 20, states (bold is ours):

"1.

services providing connection to a public communications

network and/or publicly available electronic communications

services, consumers, and other end-users so requesting, have

a right to a contract with an undertaking or undertakings

providing such connection and/or services. The contract shall

specify in a clear, comprehensive and easily accessible form

at least:

[...]

information on any other conditions limiting access

to and/or use of services and applications, where

such conditions are permitted under national law in

accordance with Community law,

[...]

information on any procedures put in place by the

undertaking to measure and shape traffic so as to

avoid filling or overfilling a network link, and infor­-

mation on how those procedures could impact on

service quality,"

However, not all Member States have already transposed in their legislation such obligations, so you should check in your country. Deadline for transposition was May 2011, so if your country did not transpose the directive or it transposed it wrongly, it is subject to an Infraction Procedure by the Commission. Any citizen can contact the Commission, warning about a possible breach by his/her Member State, in order to eventually initiate an infraction procedure. If the Directive was already implemented in your country and your ISP refuses to inform you FULLY about traffic shaping, then anybody can sue them (consumers associations may be very helpful in this case).

Kind regards

Hi, regardless of which server and port I choose, and whether it's UDP/TCP, I only ever get speeds around 50 KB/s from sites that would usually give, say, 800 KB/s download speeds, like Microsoft's website. I'm using Windows XP, a wired connection, and the normal AirVPN client. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

(By the way, I'm using the forum because I couldn't get the help desk to work. It wouldn't let me select the Department for the question or submit it, in either browser I tried.)