Not connected, Your IP: 3.129.45.252
Sign in to follow this  
Psamathe

Incoming Connections Blocked

I've just upgraded my Little Snitch firewall (major update) and I'm getting periodic incoming Connections on openvpn blocked.

On 12 Jul 2017, 94.229.74.90 tried to establish an incoming connection to openvpn on UDP port 59573. The request was denied automatically because this kind of incoming connection cannot be delayed.

(94.229.74.90 is AirVPN's server I'm connected to Carinae?).

I've left them as blocked as I'm not sure if they are to be expected or if they are somebody outside AirVPN trying to get back to my computer (my lack of knowledge). It appears that the VPN works OK with these incoming connections being blocked or should I allow them (e.g. if they are part of some useful openvpn negotiation or something one would actually want).

(I'm running OpenVPN through Viscosity

Thanks

Hello!

We could see some time ago that that was a message by LittleSnitch that's somehow misleading. UDP is connectionless so your node can receive UDP packets after it has started talking with an UDP based service, of course (for example: our VPN service). This does not necessarily imply that such UDP packets are an "incoming connection", or an unsolicited "incoming connection". 

94.229.74.90 is the entry-IP address of our server Carinae, while port 59573 was likely the ephemeral OpenVPN port (in your local host) . When you enter the VPN in UDP, all of your traffic flow (on your physical network interface) is already/still wrapped in UDP.

Kind regards

Hello!

We could see some time ago that that was a message by LittleSnitch that's somehow misleading. UDP is connectionless so your node can receive UDP packets after it has started talking with an UDP based service, of course (for example: our VPN service). This does not necessarily imply that such UDP packets are an "incoming connection", or an unsolicited "incoming connection". 

94.229.74.90 is the entry-IP address of our server Carinae, while port 59573 was likely the ephemeral OpenVPN port (in your local host) . When you enter the VPN in UDP, all of your traffic flow (on your physical network interface) is already/still wrapped in UDP.

Kind regards

So best to allow them or refuse them using the Little Snitch rule (from a security perspective)?

Hello!

You need to have them accepted. The fact that the problem is sporadic makes it not relevant: you will not notice any slow down. However, if the amount of dropped packets rises, you will see a dramatic slow down up to a complete halt of the traffic flow to/from the VPN server. At the moment we don't know why LittleSnitch drops a packet only now and then.

Kind regards