Not connected, Your IP: 3.236.252.14
Staff

New 1 Gbit/s server available (BG)

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that a new 1 Gbit/s server located in Bulgaria is available: Fornax.

The AirVPN client will show automatically the new server, while if you use the OpenVPN client you can generate all the files to access them through our configuration/certificates/key generator (menu "Client Area"->"Config generator").

The server accepts connections on ports 53, 80, 443, 1194 and 2018 UDP and TCP.

Just like every other Air server, Fornax supports OpenVPN over SSL and OpenVPN over SSH.

As usual no traffic limits, no logs, no discrimination on protocols and hardened security against various attacks with separate entry and exit-IP addresses.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any information or issue.

Kind regards and datalove
AirVPN Team

Posted ... (edited)

Working good here @ 190 mbit with 443 ssl

edit:

Oops I was wrong.

Getting great speed with UDP 443 but with SSL I lose more than 95% of the speed

Edited ... by ZPKZ

edit:

Oops I was wrong.

I'm getting the same thing. UDP 80 times out for me though, so I would not know what those speeds are. These symptoms are similar to what I'm getting on Latvian servers right now. Fast on UDP, 90% slower on TCP or SSL protocols.

edit:

Oops I was wrong.

I'm getting the same thing. UDP 80 times out for me though, so I would not know what those speeds are. These symptoms are similar to what I'm getting on Latvian servers right now. Fast on UDP, 90% slower on TCP or SSL protocols.

From Paris, France:

6193070809.png

Over SSL:

6193152020.png

Without VPN:

6193083079.png

Wesen (best ping according to Eddie ,UK excluded - 15ms ):

6193136506.png

Pretty good considering how far Bulgaria is from my location (not over SSL however).

edit:

Oops I was wrong.

From Paris, France:

6193070809.png

Over SSL:

6193152020.png

Without VPN:

6193083079.png

Wesen (best ping according to Eddie ,UK excluded - 15ms ):

6193136506.png

Pretty good considering how far Bulgaria is from my location (not over SSL however).

I'm getting pretty good results from the US on UDP 443.

6193265443.png

But my SSL speeds are absolute garbage

6193273799.png

For comparison, here is what i get via SSL 443 on Swiss servers:

6193283314.png

My UDP speeds for the server are almost identical:

6193305570.png

And on my home ISP:

6193291223.png

There is no point in using OpenVPN over SSL when UDP performance is better. OpenVPN over SSL is designed to encrypt OpenVPN fingerprint thanks to an additional tunnel. This adds an additional wrapping and an additional encryption layer (warning: the additional tunnel is not designed for high security in our system - the core security layer remains up to OpenVPN).

To make things worse OpenVPN is forced to work in TCP.

This means that when you send out an UDP packet in your system, this will be an UDP packet wrapped in TCP wrapped in TCP: UDP over TCP over TCP! See the difference with the efficient UDP over UDP, or TCP over UDP.

OpenVPN over SSL should be used only when the remarkable performance hit caused by the massive overhead is less than performance hit caused by ISP traffic shaping/management against OpenVPN specifically (if it's against UDP, direct TCP will suffice and OpenVPN over SSL will be again inappropriate). This is the only essence and purpose of OpenVPN over SSL. A very important purpose, vital in some countries (for example Iran).

So, when direct and clean OpenVPN in UDP is faster than "OpenVPN over stunnel", insisting on OpenVPN over SSL not only makes no sense, but it's also masochistic.

Kind regards

speedof.me is another great site to test speed

Edit: I take back what I said. It's terrible while connected to VPN. speedtest beta seems to be perfect.

Can't connect to it since yesterday, tried from different locations and with different laptops.

The ping matrix shows that it's fine, any ideas?