Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.177.210
Sign in to follow this  
PeterPan

Choice of firewall

Hi,

after reading your forums I have found you guys favor Commodo firewall but I already have Bitdefender 2012 installed and configured on my PC and do not want to uninstall and install Commodo and reconfigure. I am currently using Windows 7 32-bit and am wondering if you guys think it is ok to use Bitdefender 2012 to help protect against DNS leaks and VPN dropout with the help of Bitdefenders support team to write the same rules you guys recommend with Commodo. What do you guys think, is it ok to use Bitdefender 2012? Also in the future I may upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit, is Bitdefender 2012 ok with Windows 7 64-bit as well? Thanks.

Hi,

after reading your forums I have found you guys favor Commodo firewall but I already have Bitdefender 2012 installed and configured on my PC and do not want to uninstall and install Commodo and reconfigure. I am currently using Windows 7 32-bit and am wondering if you guys think it is ok to use Bitdefender 2012 to help protect against DNS leaks and VPN dropout with the help of Bitdefenders support team to write the same rules you guys recommend with Commodo. What do you guys think, is it ok to use Bitdefender 2012? Also in the future I may upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit, is Bitdefender 2012 ok with Windows 7 64-bit as well? Thanks.

Hello!

If you look at the security tests performed by independent researchers (results linked on our forum), Bitdefender does not appear adequate to offer an effective pro-active protection on Windows 64-bit systems. Anyway, it is ok to perform the task you wish.

According to matousec, Bitdefender only passes 9% of the leak tests. The remaining 91% of the tests show leaks from Bitdefender, resulting in protection "NONE":

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php

Kind regards

I am considering buying Commodo full security (antivirus + firewall). I am a bit concerned about replacing Bitdefender 2012 with Commodo because I do not know if Commodo is as a whole better than Bitdefender 2012. What do you guys think, is Commodo full security (antivirus + firewall) more secure than Bitdefender 2012 full security?

In case Commodo is not as secure as Bitdefender as a whole internet security package, is it possible to install Commodo firewall while Bitdefender 2012 firewall is installed and switch between the two depending upon whether I am using Air VPN or will this cause some problems?

In case Commodo is not as secure as Bitdefender as a whole internet security package, is it possible to install Commodo firewall while Bitdefender 2012 firewall is installed and switch between the two depending upon whether I am using Air VPN or will this cause some problems?

Hello!

As a pro-active security firewall, it appears there's no comparison between them. Comodo passes about 96% of the hardest leak tests, Bitdefender only 9% (on 64-bit systems). On 32-bit systems, Comodo passes 100% of the tests and Bitdefender 97% of them, so if you have a 32-bit system you can remain with Bitdefender, while if you have a 64-bit Windows you should seriously consider to drop it.

Switching between the two should be possible without particular issues, but please first check with the Bitdefender and Comodo support teams. Our recommendations on Comodo are based on independent security experts reviews, not our own, also we have never tested Bitdefender.

Kind regards