Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.187.103
TheDarkOnyx

Network Issue - Internet hangs when using another VPN - Linux

I am having an issue with my computer (Peppermint 7 and LInux Mint 18 respectively). Whenever I boot up and connect to a VPN server it works fine and no DNS leaks, but when I switch to a different server, ther interner stops working and it says that I am connected to the VPN tunnel. The internet hangs but whenever I connect to an AirVPN server through the Eddie client, it works with no problems at all.

(I accidentally turned on Network Lock and it messed up the IPTables, and I do not have a backup.)

I did some looking around and Network Lock edits the Linux IpTables and I don't know how to erase the rules. Nothing helps at the moment.

Question is, where do I go to fix the issues Network Lock makes?

Thanks.

I did some looking around and Network Lock edits the Linux IpTables and I don't know how to erase the rules. Nothing helps at the moment

To flush iptables rules enter the command (from a root terminal):

iptables -F

Question is, where do I go to fix the issues Network Lock makes?

Network Lock does not cause any problem. If you kill Eddie without grace iptables rules will remain the same and this is not only expected, but it must be so. Traffic leaks prevention must remain enforced in case of OpenVPN or Eddie crash, incorrect behavior by the user etc.

In such cases you can either run and shut down properly Eddie to restore your previous rules (because Eddie does backup your system iptables rules before modifying them), or just flush the rules. Both operations are a matter of a few seconds.

Kind regards

To my surprise, the problem wasn't the client, all I had to do was to change one line in the config in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and I cut out the line where it says "dns=dnsmasq". From there, I was able to route all traffic inot the VPN client and the VPN connection doesn't hang. Thanks for your suggestions, they did help in shoirt term.