Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.179.138

Hi all, Trev is right kaspersky just updates back to patch d, it would only update to patch c yesterday but just in from work and its all knackered again. Been useing kaspersky for years now with very few problems, i was amazed to hear that kaspersky has been injecting js into every web page, not sure what to do about kaspersky now, might be better off with another av supplier ? any sugestions welcome.

Not the first time Kaspersky broke some functionality of another software. Maybe AV softwares are not as important today as they were back then..!?

any sugestions welcome.

Ditch Windows, switch to Linux. Because on Linux, the tools to monitor what is happening in your OS are all there, more or less easy to use. Not to mention that you don't pay for software which is spying on you.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Uninstalled Kaspersky and reinstalled to © version. All working again. Cheers !

Scratch that. My Kaspersky has updated itself back the the d version so not working again.

Since the current KIS is automatically upgrading to D, why not just install the old KIS 2016 software that won't be able to get Patch D?

When you go to this link, Kaspersky allows you to download previous software versions for free. This may be a quick and easy workaround until this has been fixed. I"m going to try it now.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/software-upgrades/

I found a working download link via the Knowledge Base to KTS 16.0.1.445. I'll provide the link below for anyone else that wants it. I'm going to remove KTS 2017 and try 2016. I'll report back after rebooting. Just wanted to include the link before I lost it during reboot.

https://support.kaspersky.com/kts2016

I can confirm that rolling back to Kaspersky Total Security 2016 fixes the slow/no connection issue with the latest Eddie 2.12.4. I verified this with before and after speed tests. I don't know if I am giving up any must have features by rolling back to the 2016 model, but I'm thinking likely not.

After I installed it, Firefox started giving me an error ("SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER") when I tried to get onto a site with https. I'm not sure it's because I didn't run the update or possibly because I didn't restart Firefox, but I was able to fix it by reinstalling the Kaspersky certificate. Here's how I did it (in red below) in case it helps anyone else with a similar issue.

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Fix-slowness-crashing-error/How-to-troubleshoot-the-error-code-quot-SEC-ERROR-UNKNOWN-ISSUER/ta-p/35758#w_kaspersky

In Kaspersky security products you can disable the interception of secure connections:

1. Open the dashboard of your Kaspersky application.
  2. Click on Settings on the bottom-left.
  3. Click Additional and then Network.
  4. If you use a 2016 version of Kaspersky: In the Encrypted connections scanning section check the Do not scan encrypted connections option and confirm this change.
    Alternatively you can click on Advanced Settings in order to try to trigger a reinstallation of Kaspersky's certificate. In the dialog that opens click on Install certificate… and follow the on-screen instructions.
    If you use a 2015 version of Kaspersky: uncheck the Scan encrypted connections option.
  5. Finally, reboot your system for the changes to take effect.

Users of an earlier version of Kaspersky with a current subscription are entitled to an upgrade to the latest product version, which is available for download and installation on the Kaspersky product updates page. Afterwards follow the steps from above.

I just wanted to chime in that the VPN has become near unusable for me over the last few days.  I finally gave up and am using Windows defender in conjunction with Air, and it seems to work fine. 

Obviously that's not ideal, and I've logged a ticket and voiced my concern on Kaspersky's forums, but I was wondering whether the tech guys at AirVPN have anything on the horizon that might fix it?

Thanks!

Posted ... (edited)

I think I'm having the same issue everyone else is, and think I found a work around that doesn't involve uninstalling Kaspersky or trying to revert back to an older version.

I rebooted the other day because Kaspersky Total Security said it needed to reboot to finish installing the patch. Ever since the reboot, my internet works fine when I'm not connected to the VPN, but as soon as I am, web browsers no longer function. I can ping various servers (google.com and kaspersky.com) just fine through the VPN, so the DNS seems to resolve correctly. I can also download updates through chocolatey without any issues, so the VPN connection isn't completely dead, I just can't access anything through Firefox or Chrome.

This got me to thinking, and after playing around with it a bit, and flat out disabling Kaspersky all together without any improvement, I noticed that plugins in Firefox were still showing up. Long story short, I found that disabling the Kaspersky Protection plugin seems to have fixed my problem (I had no issues browsing in Firefox for an hour or so, and was pulling around 12MB/s with a 130ms ping on a few speed tests, which is typical for me..)

There's a setting that's on by default in Kaspersky that won't let you disable the plugin (or rather, keeps turning it back on when you disable it)

Open Kaspersky and go to settings (the gear looking icon in the lower left corner)

-> Protection

-> Web-Antivirus

-> Advanced Settings

-> Uncheck "Automatically activate Kaspersky Protection extension in browsers"

Now open up your browser and disable the Kaspersky Protection plugin (in Firefox, go to the menu -> Add-ons -> Extensions, then disable Kaspersky Protection.)  You may need to restart your browser before the changes take effect.

Not ideal, but until they fix it, this is better than nothing for me..

Edited ... by nikondrgn

It's definitely back with the (d) release dang it! I'll open an issue again.

Btw, the Kaspersky forums thread was deleted. :-|

Wasn't the Thread just merged?

Wasn't the Thread just merged?

Yes it was.  I just got off tech support with them pretty angry about the whole thing, and in the middle of it I found the merged thread :/.  In any case they said to me 1. don't rely on forums - to which I responded with aren't they your forums?  They told me they're a separate department, so take that for what it's worth.

They followed up with that they are aware of the problem, but it is apparently unique to each PC, so I'd have to upload all my logs and go through their troubleshooting steps.  Kind of a pain in the rear, but once I'm done all the work I need to get finished today I'll have to go through the laborious process I guess.

Came here because ive done emailed, called, and chat supported with them multiple times. I seen the recc. of installing '16 version and some of you stated you could not find it, so I did for you and myself as well. Here is the link. Im downloading now and posting before reboot so I dont lose this page and get distracted, forget to reply. http://support.kaspersky.com/us/kts2016#downloads

Hope this helps, for all of our sakes.

They followed up with that they are aware of the problem, but it is apparently unique to each PC, so I'd have to upload all my logs and go through their troubleshooting steps. 

I don't believe that, it was something in their update that needs fixing, whether or not it affects different PC's in different ways.

There is a reply setting out a message from Kaspersky support on the merged Thread...

<<From Kaspersky Support:

Hi, we just received an update from our tier 2 support. According to them, "The issue you are experiencing is a known bug. Bug 2123609 user can no longer access the internet or it runs extremely slow through a Virtual Private Netwok after updating to patch D."

Disabling Script inject and browser add on is not a recommended workaround because it can lessen the protection.

They are still currently working for the fix. We do not have the exact date when the fix will be released but we will be sure to inform you once it's available. I will be escalating the case again so our tier 2 support can let you know once the fix is out.>>

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=367272&pid=2685119&st=200&&do=findComment&comment=2685119

Funny, as from today for a fresh install, KIS downloads the already Patched D version. Yesterday it was Patch C and you had the choice to update. .

And KIS is still broken.

Have been experiencing the same issue. I uninstalled Kaspersky at one point, but it seemed the issue still existed, so I reinstalled Kaspersky. After seeing more comments on this issue, and having the same symptoms that many others are having not only with AirVPN, but with other VPN's, I felt like it HAD to be Kaspersky. I've uninstalled it again, and now it is running faster, and now my browser isn't saying "internet connection unavailable," or "Connection timed out" anymore like it was doing all the damn time.

I'm on a public Wifi right now, but when I get home and connect with my ethernet cable, I'll test it again to see if my speed is what I think it should be. My home connection is about 115Mbps, but lately, it's only been about 7Mbps with lots of disconnections. Can't wait to test it later *crosses fingers*

I'll follow-up later.

This worked fine for me last week. However,I had the same problem yesterday. I uninstalled Kaspersky (Anti Virus) and reinstalled as above, but this time no joy. I have had to uninstall Kaspersky and replace it, which I don't particularly like.

Any ideas please?

After using Kaspersky for years, in my opinion, it has gotten too aggressive. I find quite a few things within the program need to be turned off or uninstalled for it to run unintrusive. It gets top rated reviews but so does Avira. I've installed Avira free on Windows 10 boxes and feel confident about its protection. As is, the free version nags from time to time to upgrade but there are ways kill the nags. In addition the free version runs totally anonymous without the need to register.

While Kaspersky Internet Security was installed, I had:

• Disabled browser add-on/extensions.
  • Disabled stream injection.
  • Disabled Safe Money
  • Uninstalled the VPN
  • and disabled additional settings I cannot recall at the moment

The experimental (e) update fixes the issue for me. You need to open a ticket with Kaspersky to request the information on how to update with it. I haven't had time for much testing to see how it affects performance when doing large downloads though.

For what it's worth, Kaspersky's new VPN (Secure Connection) works with it. Strange it is the only one working, but I suppose they tested it with their antivirus.

After using Kaspersky for years, in my opinion, it has gotten too aggressive. I find quite a few things within the program need to be turned off or uninstalled for it to run unintrusive. It gets top rated reviews but so does Avira. I've installed Avira free on Windows 10 boxes and feel confident about its protection. As is, the free version nags from time to time to upgrade but there are ways kill the nags. In addition the free version runs totally anonymous without the need to register.

While Kaspersky Internet Security was installed, I had:

• Disabled browser add-on/extensions.
  • Disabled stream injection.
  • Disabled Safe Money
  • Uninstalled the VPN
  • and disabled additional settings I cannot recall at the moment

I have used Comodo Firewall with Avast AV for years.   3months ago Avast came out with an update that bricked 3 computers of mine, 2 win10laptops and a win8.1 desktop.  One of the Laptops actually had to be sent in(still on warranty) because somehow it had made it impossible to do Recovery or even a fresh install on it.  The other 2 took a week to work things out and I decided to drop Avast and check out Avira.  Avira works but it comes with a ton of stuff that is unnecessary which you can choose if you are patient at the beginning  and don't just install everything.  But even then the A/V is slow and my whole system seemed to slow down.  So while looking thru other options, I decided to give Comodo a shot for the A/V.  It used to be you got the Firewall free but if you wanted their A/V you paid for it.  They now offer the A/V free too.  So far after putting it on all 3 computers, everything has run perfectly.   I know their A/V is not the top rated but it's still decent and working in conjunction with the firewall and my own knowledge of what not to do on the web, has me feeling this is a potent combo for at least Windows boxes.