Not connected, Your IP: 3.146.221.204
vpnadmin

ANSWERED Eddie 2.11.7 on Windows 10 x64: Unrecognized directive or missing parameter: block-ipv6

Hey there,

I'm using the latest experimental Eddie with a custom provider (own OpenVPN server). 

After connecting I get the message: Unrecognized directive or missing parameter: block-ipv6

Note: the connection is correctly established and I can surf the web with this tunnel at this time.

After clicking "OK" the message disappears and the connection is terminated. 

This is the relevant line at the logfile:

. 2016.11.28 13:59:17 - OpenVPN > PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,explicit-exit-notify,topology subnet,route-delay 5 30,dhcp-pre-release,dhcp-renew,dhcp-release,route-metric 101,ping 12,ping-restart 50,comp-lzo yes,redirect-gateway def1,redirect-gateway bypass-dhcp,redirect-gateway autolocal,route-gateway 172.27.232.1,dhcp-option DNS 91.239.100.100,dhcp-option DNS 89.233.43.71,register-dns,block-ipv6,ifconfig 172.27.232.3 255.255.248.0'

I tried to remove the directive in the server config but this does not work. (It is an official OpenVPN access server and I'm not able to edit the push directives directly. Nontheless, since I can browse the web after connecting it seems like a bug to me. Anything I can do here?

Thanks!

Posted ... (edited)

It does not change anything. I updated to latest OVPN/TAP driver now and it seems that this entry is added by Eddie. Look at the temporary config file that is generated upon connecting:

# Automatically generated by Eddie v2.11.7 | https://airvpn.org . Any manual change will be overridden.
# Montag, 28. November 2016 06:29:15 UTC
dev tun # Server level
remote 46.xxx.xxx.xxx 1194 udp # Server level
comp-lzo no # Server level
ns-cert-type server # Server level
key-direction 1 # Server level
rcvbuf 262144
server-poll-timeout 4 # Server level
management localhost 3100
block-ipv6  # Custom level
dhcp-option DNS 209.244.0.3 # Server level
setenv PUSH_PEER_INFO # Server level
dev-type tun # Server level
sndbuf 262144
persist-key  # Client level
persist-tun  # Client level
nobind  # Server level
client  # Server level
resolv-retry infinite # Client level
reneg-sec 604800 # Server level
ping-exit 32 # Client level
ping 10 # Client level
verb 3
connect-retry-max 1 # Client level
<key>

This entry can't be seen in the original config file. I don't know what's happening here ...

Edit: found the relevant code snippet in AirVPN.xml and removed it. Now it can't be seen anymore in the temporary ovpn-config. Nontheless the server seems to keep pushing the directive and the same message appears.
Edited ... by vpnadmin

I think I should add: the same config file works pretty fine with the regular OpenVPN connect on the same system. So this is most likely an Eddie-related thing here.

Very interesting (using Eddie with custom OVPN, using Eddie with OpenVPN 2.4beta, nice!)

Eddie intercepts a message "Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter" that comes from OpenVPN, and reflects the message in the logs.

The bug in Eddie is the fact that Eddie may consider it a FATAL error and close the connection.

the same config file works pretty fine with the regular OpenVPN connect on the same system. So this is most likely an Eddie-related thing here.

Simply, OpenVPN connect hides this unrecognized option.

"block-ipv6" directive doesn't exist neither in OpenVPN 2.4 : https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Openvpn24ManPage

But your OpenVPN server pushes it.

Maybe an internal/testing directive, or directive that is accepted only on some platform (for example Android).

We will add an option "Ignore unrecognized directives" in the next Eddie version 2.11.8 (that will be released today or tomorrow). (Edited)

OpenVPN unrecognized directives throw a log message "Unrecognized option or missing parameter" in any case.

OpenVPN normally continues if the directive comes from a "push", or stops if the directive comes from an .ovpn file.
Eddie stops in both cases. This is a bug. It will be fixed in the next release.